XP Home Logon takes several minutes

Ever since loading of XP SP2 my laptop with the Broadcom BCM4306/BCM2050 chipset and driver ver 3.30.15 has not been happy. Even though it recognizes the router, it takes several minutes before a successful logon. I used to be able to force it on but its now at the point that I have to walk away and come back to find that it has logged on. Has anyone else run into this? In researching the problem I see where there's a fix for the exact problem on the XP Pro, but the resolution does not apply to XP Home.

Reply to
ED
Loading thread data ...

I loaded WinXP SP2 a while ago, with no effect on my DLink DWL-122, but a recent Windows Update caused Wireless Zero Config to turn itself on.

I had loaded the DWL drivers prior to installing the hardware, but after SP2 was loaded. Perhaps you didn't have Wireless Zero before, and now you do, and it isn't working for you.

On my systray there is a "D" icon for the DLink client, as well as a wireless icon that leads to WinXP management of the connection. On mine, it notes that there are no wireless networks available, because Wireless Zero is not running, and suggests that I enable it, but that is a bad thing in my configuration. it works fine with Wireless Zero turned off, and the DLink client in control.

Start-run-services.msc Wireless Zero Configuration - Stop - Disabled.

Reply to
dold

Thanks for the reply Dold.

I turned off WZC and Windows said that it "cannot configure the wireless connection". "If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection use that software" (I have a Broadcom Utility on my task bar but I see no option to manage a connection.) Windows also says "If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero Connection"

I had to put WZC in automatic and start it. Then a connection was made. Of course by then a few minutes had passed and the connection came alive.

You're correct about this happening in a recent Windows Update following SP2.

The problem is so consistent that I can't believe I'm the only one having this.

ED

Reply to
ED

I didn't notice that comment the first time. There isn't much difference between XP and XP Home that I would think would affect this situation. What KnowledgeBase article are you referring to? I see several listed as fixed in SP2, and they all apply to XP and XPHome.

Reply to
dold

See here:

formatting link
This is the exact Problem I'm having. Only the solution is XP Pro oriented.

Reply to
ED

Logon to what? Do you mean the initial Windoze login and password to the computer, or to some remotely located PDC (primary domain controller)? If there's a third line on the initially sign-on page labelled "domain", you're setup for a domain login. If there's not PDC or BDC available, the computah will keep trying for about 3 minutes and then offer to login only locally. Is this what's happening?

Force it? How? Hammer, chisel, or axe? What manner of force was used? Did you have this problem before and used a trick (i.e. hit ctrl-break to abort the logon) to shorten the delay?

Literally dozens of times thanks to Microsloths inability to properly distinguish between domains and workgroups during installation, which causes users to guess if they have a domain or a workgroup. Those that select domain end up with a long logon delay looking for a domain controller. It was really bad in the NT4 days when a bad choice during installation required a total reinstall.

What fix?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

your responding to my query. Here goes.....

When I turn on the laptop it boots and does an automatic log-into my wireless home network. (Linksys) I get the wireless network connection icon in the lower right of task bar showing that I am connected. Lately (since SP2 update ->KB834707 security update, the Wireless Icon just remains there with red X. If I leave it alone in about five minutes it will connect on its own.

By doing a start ->Connect to ->Show all connections -> double click on wireless network connection

->connect.

Did you have this problem before With SP2 it was obvious that they changed the way the connection process work. The connection icon is now different than with XP SP1. It didn't connect as easy as before but I could live with it. Things just got bad with subsequent updates.

What fix? KB884020 Is what I came up with.

In this thread, Dold commented that he might be having a similar problem. I just dont have a clear picture of what's really going on. If you can shed some light on this, It would make my day....HI

ED

Reply to
ED

That's not really a "logon" as in asking a name and password. I guess the correct terminology is that it takes a long time to connect.

802.1x authentication waiting for Wireless Zero Config. See:
formatting link
paragraph. Turn off 802.1x authentication if you're using WEP or no encryption. It's required for WPA and WPA-PSK.

formatting link
's for loopback (127.0.0.1) problems with XP SP2. Not related to anything involving wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

But that was supposed to be fixed in SP2, where his problem first showed up ;-(

SP2 probably reverted to a default setting for something on this connection.

Since the "force connection" works, maybe it is just the "automatic" setting. When you get to the screen where you click on the network that you want, does it have (automatic) after the name? There are a few different screens where this can show up, but you want to either select properties, or change advanced settings. Then on the Connection tab, make sure "automatic" is checked. While you are there, you might uncheck 802.1x on the Authentication tab. On mine, that's not available, because I don't have encrption turned on.

Reply to
dold

The properties shows it as 'automatic'. I do have the 802.1x authentication unchecked. I am using WEP. On the connection tab of the Linksys Properties, Its set to connect automatically when the network is in range.

Do you think I should apply the KB826942.?

Maybe this all happened since the Yankees couldn't hold their own, huh? I'm in NYC

Reply to
ED

I had the same problem when introducing XP clients to our domain. Solved this problem by entering the IP Adress to the DNS Server in the Preferred DNS Server field inTCP/IP properties. Problem gone.

Reply to
anderssose

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 04:03:09 GMT, ED spoketh

Are you using the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration option, or Linksys' own wireless client?

I haven't really noticed a big difference with my laptops since I got SP2 going. It takes about a minute or so from when I log in (that is, enter my username and password) to when the laptop connects to the wireless network. And that's on an old 333 MHz laptop...

I've found that if I don't get a connection within a minute or so, I can simply log out (start->Log Off) and back in, and the wireless piece will restart it's connection attempt.

Check how much stuff is loading at start up. The more stuff you load, the longer it will take for everything to get loaded, including the wireless service (regardless of it being the MS client or the Linksys client).

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

I had exactly the same problem with a wired LAN. 2 out 5 XP workstations would not obtain DNS values for DHCP. The sequence of events was: Machines full or spyware. Spybot S&D used to clean up machine before applying XP SP2 SP2 and subsequent updates installed. Worthless application vendor claims his junkware is not compatible with XP SP2. Uninstall XP SP2. At this point, DHCP delivered DNS stopped working. I "fixed" the problem by manually assigning IP addresses for the DNS servers. That worked fine, but I certainly would like to know the cause. I believe it might be the removal of the spyware that initiated the problem. The 3 working machines went through an identical sequence, but did not have any spyware that needed removal. I'm not finished with this one and plan to try "XP Winsock Fix" next.

formatting link
duz this sequence of events sound familiar?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.