Netgear DG834G problems

Hi,

a few days ago my DG834G router stopped accessing the internet, both wirelessly and normal wires, but the local network was still accessible! However, the next day everything had stopped working, the router was displaying all 4 ethernet port lights as being 'on' or plugged in (when there was only 1) and the adsl 'i' light was on but yellow! All other lights are off.... the 'power' light and the 'tick' light! Powering on/off the device doesn't change this at all... it is effectively dead, and doesn't even register as being plugged into my pc via the ethernet cable, as my local area connection icon has a red cross through it now. Has anyone had or heard of this problem and knows a solution?! As I really don't want to be forking out for a replacement right now!!

Thanks in advance!

Danny

Reply to
Danny
Loading thread data ...

Hmm. Hate to say it, but that doesn't sound promising at all -- especially with the power light not coming on. Had a hub once that, when it crapped out, also kept all of it's port lights lit. Not familiar with Netgear, but does it have a hard reset button on the back? I.e., with my D-Link stuff, they have a very small hole in the back that you can do a factory reset with by holding down the internal button with a small screwdriver. Other than just attempting a hard reset, and its able to communicate to a PC after that then re-install firmware as it may have been corrupted -- but with the power light not coming on, it doesn't sound too good. That failing, maybe opening it up and checking the power supply with a multimeter might unveil something, but...

Still under a RMA'able manufacturer warranty?

Good luck,

-ES

Reply to
Eras

Yep, tried the hard reset a few times, held for 30 seconds.... powered off then on.... still nothing! It's not even communicating with the PC via ethernet cable so it's definitely a dead duck!

Anyway, got through to Netgear and they're sending me a replacement out as soon as I send the faulty one back. Luckily it's still under warranty! Just have to wait for them to email me the shipping label now! Fingers crossed...

Thanks for the reply!

Danny

Reply to
Danny

After writing my reply, I did a quick google after considering that the strange "lights behavior" may be a "malfunction code" and came across this:

formatting link
Didn't read too far into it though, but it may explain what that particular "light pattern" is indicating.

Thats great its still under warranty. I'd probably return it regardless (even if there is a "fix"), as don't want the same problem cropping up again in the future.

Glad ya are getting a new one! (Funny how stuff always seems to crap out RIGHT AFTER warranties expire. LOL)

Cheers 'n Beers,

-ES

Reply to
Eras

Don't get a replacement, get your money back instead. Will save you lot of hair in future. That's what I did anyway, bought Draytek Vigor 2600 instead, yes, it's not cheap, but lot better the Net****. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

"Martin²" wrote in news:421292c7$0$16074$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

Reply to
Euan Kerr

Boring..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................

You will still be harping on like this in 30 years time................. sad git.................. get a life.....

Lots of love from a well happy, highly delighted and satisfied DG834G user of 16 months with no problems whatsoever like thousands of others all over the world. What a wonderful product it is, so reliable and always there every single day doing exactly the job for which it was intended.

Kiss kiss x x

Filthy Rich Music House

Reply to
Filthy Rich

I use DG834Gs (six of them) and had problems when some were in close proximity. Found a new firmware release Beta 2.10.09 on Netgear's web site at:

formatting link
which seems to have solved that problem. The release notes mentions the wireless driver has been improved for local interference. But a warning - Netgear have finally (and silently!) got the firewall working for non-NAT configurations. I was tearing my hair out trying to get my servers working before I finally guessed what was happening. Can't delete the default rule of BLOCK Always to any LAN address so had to add an ALLOW Always rule for every server (they don't allow ranges for the LAN side of the firewall rules, just ranges for addresses on the WAN side).

Regards to DG834G users everywhere.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.