Boost WiFi Signal?

I was tempted to write a sarcastic proposal that you simply build a 200 foot tower in the center of the sub division... the whole thing need not cost more than a few hundred thousand.

I won't bore you with the fun details (which would perhaps tickle my imagination a lot more than yours??).

How big is this subdividsion. What kind of homes (one story or two?), what kind of trees, hills, and basic topography? Any predominate high points for good antenna locations (or obvious low points that will be hard to reach)?

Absent a handy 200 foot tower, would a cell phone be a better idea?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

Plans no, but if you want to look at a website for a business that does all sorts of large WiFI setups, check out

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

I need to boost a WiFi signal. Not with the cheesy little wifi extenders.....but with a unit powerful enough to cover a whole neighborhood.

My client is a real estate developer that wants to place a wifi router in a model home and be able to use his notebook anywhere in the subdivision.

They own every lot in the subdivision and are beginning to build homes on these lots. So, there should be no problem as far as their signal stepping on anyone else.

Has anyone seen plans for such a booster online that I could modify for their use?

Reply to
Jim Hubbard

You're taking customers for your service and you don't know enough to ask the right questions?

Put an outside access point and antenna high above the roof of the model home, run cat5 inside to a POE injector. That's one possible solution. I'm sure there's many more. The size of the subdivision, the size, number and placement of trees, lots of things will affect the design of a wireless network.

Reply to
Rôgêr

formatting link
has plenty of products you can use, not cheaply though...

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

formatting link
he not use these. They go a 1/2 mile pretty easy. If his access point is in the center could he not plug three more into the same computer'USB' point them 4 different ways and bridge the connection.

Reply to
Ed Williams

Your client should find a System Integrated/VAR/Consultant that really knows WiFi...

Reply to
AR15

neighborhood.

Why not have him go with one of the commercial offerings to do that on his notebook?

Reply to
George

The OP provided zero information about the actual size of the "neighborhood". There is no way to suggest anything based on the total lack of information.

Reply to
George

Three WRT54GS WAPs. Set first to Channel 1, second to Channel 6 and third to Channel 11. Each has a directional antenna, with perhaps 150 degree field of coverage. Put on high point, as high as local code will permit. Use the SveaSoft replacement firmware to adjust the power output, relative to the gain of the antenna, so as toavoid violating FCC regulations.

Have him get an Proxim Or>I need to boost a WiFi signal. Not with the cheesy little wifi

Reply to
no.one

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.