Need to boost internet wireless received signal

I have a wireless Internet connection and am running Windows Vista Home Premium edition on a HP Pavilion dv6500 notebook computer. I am now at a summer location that has a number of cottages. My broadband transmission connection is at one end of the group of cottages. I am having problems getting connected via wireless at the furthest locations from the wireless source. I have to physically move closer to the transmitter/receiver and then after I make the connections am able to move almost to the furthest cabin and continue to surf the net. Is there a way via something I can put externally on the notebook to be able to boost the received signal into the computer. What are my options? I do not see any connection for an external antenna on the laptop. Is there something like a repeater that I could place half way between the source at one end and the last cabin? The best solution is if I could get some sort of PCMCIA card with an external antenna and amplifier. Does such a card exist?

Reply to
DJW
Loading thread data ...

Yea, did you try the PepWave AP200 or AP400. Should do the trick.

Chris Werner

Reply to
Chris Werner

For a simple one-piece solution you could go with one of these:

formatting link
Or this:
formatting link
Add a homemade reflector on it to amp up your gain in trouble spots:
formatting link
Put your chosen usb device/antenna combo on an extension to place it in the best line of sight to the Router at the other end. This is a better solution than a card with a coax cable to external antenna as the coax loses signal strength and the USB does not.

Putting another reflector on your Router/AP to improve it further. In fact, if it's an option then first make a reflector for the router end and see if that improves your reception on the far client end.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.