Need help with WaveLAN antenna connector

Fellow wireless gurus,

I'm trying to identify a connector used with a 915MHz WaveLAN wireless access point (circa 1997). I have searched high and low, but cannot figure out what type of connector I need. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I've taken the liberty of providing some visual aid! Here is a picture of the mystery connector I'm hoping to identify:

formatting link
Now, this looks suspiciously like an SMB connector. Alas, it is not. I had a custom pigtail cable made (for $38!) using an SMB connector and it is not a match. Here is a picture of the mystery connector and the SMB connector side-by-side:

formatting link
Close, but no go :( If anyone has an idea what this might be (or has some other clever idea on how to get from the access point to a RP-TNC connector) please, please let me know! And if you can cc: me via email as well, that'd be swell - I don't want to miss your response.

Reply to
Kevin Mills
Loading thread data ...

I was gonna suggest trying to fit it to an R-SMA connector. It looks about the right size for just sliding over the threaded part of the R-SMA, but the TFE insulator is the wrong diameter. Try it anyway if you can find a R-SMA as used on most D-Link access points.

Also, the coax cable looks like RG-58c/u. Hard to tell without any dimensions. Have you considered just lopping off the weird connector and attaching an ordinary SMA, TNC, or N connector? Crimp tools are about $35 and connectors are $5-$15ea.

If playing with the coax is a problem, just take the SMB-TNC pigtail you already own, chop off the SMB end, and solder the pigtail in place of the existing pigtail on the access point.

If you're a real butcher, or desperate, chop off the weird connector, strip back the center conductor, and spread the shielded braid. Shove the center conductor into a TNC receptacle, and cram the braid in around the TFE center insulator on the TNC. Cram some aluminium foil in after the braid to make sure it stays put. Keep the exposed center conductor as short as humanly possible. A TFE insulating washer on the center conductor is a good idea. I've done this more times than I care to admit.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I've certainly considered chopping and hacking, but the mate to the plug I have pictured is on the access point - I still need something that will connect to it. I have had the radical thought of opening up the access point and soldering in my own "known" jack, but... I 'm not sure if I want to go there... although I may have to.

Reply to
googlegroups

I sent a picture t the nice folks at

formatting link
I had trouble identifying a connector, including a ruler for reference, and they sent the cable I needed. The two-connector picture might suffice, since they can see the size compared to the SMB connector.
formatting link

Reply to
dold

: I'm trying to identify a connector used with a 915MHz WaveLAN wireless : access point (circa 1997). I have searched high and low, but cannot : figure out what type of connector I need. Since a picture is worth a : thousand words, I've taken the liberty of providing some visual aid! : Here is a picture of the mystery connector I'm hoping to identify: [..]

Looks like SMB.. I'm looking at my SMB connector right now and it looks the same.

m.

Reply to
Marcin Lukasik

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.