Need a better router

Hi there. Can anyone help me out in picking a decent wireless set-up. We had a Netgear that worked great, but died after 2 years. Then someone gave us a D-Link WBR-1310, but it doesn't seem up to the task. We run 2 laptops off it, both within 75 feet. One is 1 floor directly below. The other is 2 rooms away. If we try to use it 3 rooms away (still well within 75 feet) it doesn't work.

Our internet source is comcast cable, and the PC is a compaq with Windows XP, 1.99 GHz and 448 MB RAM.

The wireless connection is weak, slow, and frequently bugs out, necessitating a reboot of the router. Streaming audio and video is particularly a problem.

Any suggestions on a more reliable, powerful router?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
dubiousraves
Loading thread data ...

No specific suggestion but if you think you've found something, check out the reviews and tests at:

The Dlink WBR-1310 is not exactly my favorite wireless router. However, I don't think you're problem is the router. Methinks it's the number of walls and the antenna pattern that's causing problems.

75ft is a long way to go through what I guess will be multiple walls. Going through a floor implies that the antenna pattern has to be optimized for 2 different directions. There's no indication of what's in the walls or what type of construction, but if there's any metal in the walls (chicken wire, foil backed insulation) or water (concrete, plaster), the wall is going to be a severe RF barrier. My rule of thumb is that one drywall wall is easy. Two is a bit more problematic but still possible if the walls are fairly RF transparent. With 3 walls, it's not going to work. Floors are worse as they're often insulated with foil backed insulation.

I don't know what to suggest, but methinks the clients throught the floor and 3 rooms away are going to a problem no matter what type of wireless router you buy. You could experiment with better antennas, but they just redirect the signal. What you gain in one direction, you lose in another direction. If you optimize it for the 3 rooms way, which is horizontal, you lose signal through the floor, which is vertical. I could probably customize an antenna configuration, but even so, the walls will cause problems.

You might want to consider power line, phone line, or CATV coax networking instead of wireless for the remote clients.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

-

Thanks Jeff. My only comment is, we didn't have a problem with the Netgear router (until it died, of course). So that leads me to believe another router would handle the tasks.

DR

Reply to
rubien.david

Yes, but that was how long ago? Since then, other users of wireless networks have moved into the area, creating the potential for interference. Had you not mentioned the multiple walls, I would have suspected your symptoms resemble the results of interfence. Try changing channels (1, 6, or 11) before giving up on the DLink. Also, do a site survey to see if there are any other networks in the area, by using Netstumbler or better yet, Kismet.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

OK, Jeff, thanks. I didn't know you could change channels on a router. We've been using the D-Link for less than a year.

I'll try those site surveys you suggest.

Reply to
rubien.david

Yep. In infrastructure mode, the wireless access point determines the channel to use. All the client radios follow the central wireless access point. There's also an automatic channel selection mode, where the access point scans for empty channels when the system isn't busy. I haven't had much luck with this feature, but it's worth trying.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

Hey buddy! How are ya? Do you think one of my biquads would pull in that signal? biquadantenna.com

Pete

Reply to
Knight

Medically lousy. I'm also bummed, disgusted, irritable, soon to be impoverished, depressed, frazzled, and bored. Otherwise, I'm fine.

No. Because his client signals are coming from many different directions. A directional antenna such as yours would emphasise one direction at the expense of the others. I mentioned that in my initial reply.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.