MIMO routers

Does anyone have experience of the various MIMO routers now on the market please? I have seen one online review praising the performance of the Linksys WRT54GX, and another slating it compared to the Belkin product. Is there anything to choose between them?

I'll be using it with non-MIMO adapters, at least for now. Any views on whether there will be a noticeable performance improvement over a non-MIMO router? I'm looking for extra range, as I have terrible coverage in the house at present.

Thanks

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Suggest you consider an inexpensive better antenna for your current access point.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm very happy with my Netgear mimo. Can't replace the antennas, but it works better than my old linksys speeedbooster router which had a directional antenna.... LT

Reply to
LT

Thanks, but the antenna on my WAG54G is not replaceable, I think.

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You could still use a reflector.

Reply to
John Navas

On MIMO routers, On my experiance - DO NOT BUY the D-link DSL-G624M.

WEP encryption on this device does not actually work! If you are thinking about buying it then phone tech support and see for yourself. They recommend using WPA because they say it is better, but press them and they confess there is a problem with WEP. No date for firmware fix. And also the documented Dynamic DNS just isn't there!!!!! I think someone has rushed this product to market. Wasted a day of mine on client site trying to install this thing.

LEaving MIMO alone now as my fingers are burnt. Wait until stable.

Reply to
Dave Smithz

I'm thinking of replacing a Linksys BEFW11S4 with some "g" unit, for improved shared speed. We've gone from low speed DSL to high speed cable, and there are two or three wireless units sharing the airspace.

One room has marginal signal, even with a pair of Windsurfers on the Linksys. Would MIMO be an improvement with non-MIMO adapters? I thought the MIMO magic was all in the router, but your comment here makes me wonder. The clients are all 54g, from Linksys, Netgear and DLink.

Reply to
dold

It's not -- for anything more than a modest improvement, you need MIMO in the clients as well.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.