Something is affecting my WLAN signal...

...but I don't know what it can be.

I sought advice in here about a month ago about a poor signal from my SMC barricade running 802.11b and was pointed in the direction of NetStumbler, which showed a non-constant signal/noise ratio (the display on NetStumbler for my network looked like a comb compared to the two other WLAN signals in my area which were nice steady green blocks).

I've now replaced the SMC Barricade with a Belkin Pre-N 802.11g router, and whilst the network signal is stronger than before, the diagram in NetStumber still resembles a comb.

I've changed channels to see if the signal improves on both the old and WLAN routers but there is no noticeable improvement. The other WLANs I can pick up emit a consistent signal whereas mine doesn't - even when in the same room.

It's not the cordless phone and I don't have a microwave. The router's position is on the top of a shelf unit.

Any other ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Martin Lowe
Loading thread data ...

Other than this last I would have said it's your client, are you sure you don't have any power saving features of this laptop turned on?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It's not the client(s) - I get the same results with two different wlan-enabled laptops.

Reply to
Martin Lowe

Well, then, Occam says it's the power {cord,brick,strip,outlet} that you are plugging the routers into.

Sure is a strange one!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.