Media Player Resource Conflicts with Wireless Network

I've got a problem while using the corporate Wireless Network and Media Players simultaneously. While connected to the Wireless Network, within minutes of starting a media playing application, the application hangs up and stops playing the media. The CPU usage for that process spikes up to 100% thereby not allowing other processes. The user interface hangs up and the media player just stops playing there. However if we forward to next song in the media player, the player plays for a while and then again hangs up.

I thought this was systemic to my laptop, but I've found this problem with friends who use the wireless network. I'm using a HP laptop while my friends use different other brands. Further, I've tried a number of players from WMP 11 Beta, WMP 10, WMP 9, Winamp, to iTunes 6.0/7.0 as such and still every player acts in the same way. On the other hand, the media players work perfectly when disconnected from the network. I've swapped the Cisco VPN software to old versions, yet, this happens.

My network officer maintains that it has to do with corrupted files in my laptop locally. If that is the case, my friend has a brand new Acer laptop (only a month old and we havent exchanged any files) and he experiences the same problem. And it happens irrespective of the browser (Firefox 1.5/IE6.0)

Does anyone hav an idea to resolve this problem?

Reply to
Magnus
Loading thread data ...

Are you trying to play from the network? If so, try and copy it (or any mp3 you can find on the net) to your local system first and then play it from your local disk...

Reply to
Peter Pan

No... The files are played locally.

Reply to
Magnus

Is the problem on a laptop? If so, can you take it outside on a break or something so it is outside the influence of the wireless network... That will at least narrow it down to whether it is the software on the laptop or the wireless network itself... If a desktop - can you get them to kill it (the wireles network) for a few minutes for a test?

Seems it would be useful to find out if it happens without the network influence.. (IE is it on the computer itself, or something related to work/wireless network).. May make debugging easier if you know if the problem is on your machine, or something to do with the work wireless settings... Seems like the easiest way to check it may be to just use it outside or turn off the wireless...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.