DSL availability at my house

At the same location I am at, my brother used to live and had DSL from sbc for 1 1/2 years from late 2003 till late 2004 .

I called At&t (merged with sbc) and am told thatDSL service is not availble at this address.

Can someone tell me what the deal is?

Reply to
ME
Loading thread data ...

What do they tell you when you told them service was previously provisioned there?

Reply to
George

Maybe they mean there are no free ports at the exchange.

Reply to
PHATRS

They simply told me thea' it's not avaiable. At the 4th call, she said it's available but only a slow speed and then later changed the story and said the only way to find out is p;ace the order. At the 5th call, I was told that it's available and so when I called the broadband national that gives abetter rate and alos a free router + $25 cash back, I was told the same line and when I aske dher to talk to AT&T and solve this issue between them, I was connected to AT&T people and eventaully was told that I could only place order with AT&T directly I said "Nonsense and sked for the spervisor to home I asked a number and name to give to the 3rd party vendor but he wouldn't. "

I called the braodband national one more time and told them they need to sort that out wiht At&T and found out that their server is down.

In summary, there were people from AT&T incompetently giving me wrong info as well as th broadband side's.

I don't want to give my business to AT&T anymore and am trying to see whether I can change my land line service to verizon. The, I will place DSL with Verizon or someone else.

Reply to
ME

I called redshift once after I was told repeatedly by AT&T that it wasn't avaialble depite my givign them info on my brother's old account. He said that because my phoen service wa s*ported*, thye wouldn't be able to place DSL order but if i geta new line and number, they could. I asked what is "ported"? He siad I transferred the phone service from a previous residential place but I couldn't transferred the old number and was given a new number when moved here.

Reply to
ME

Finanlly, AT&T is giving me the same deal as their online order (Ic ouldn't place onlien order) . The sale perosn was realy nice too. Unbelievable. I did talk to a manager and told him that I was about to give the business to someone else when I trred one last time.

Reply to
ME

Sure. It's happened many times to my customers.

1. You're in the wrong newsgroup. This is about wireless internet. No wires allowed.
  2. How far away from the CO or RT are you located? If more than
12,000ft, it'a crap shoot with the new conservative at&t. They used to provision DSL out to 18,000ft, but discovered that almost all their problems and complains were from these outlying customers. So, they just cut their odds and let their former partners deal with the longer loop lengths.
  1. Got a pair gain or DACS box? If so, you lose:
  2. Got an ISDN line? Won't work.

1. Got phone service from a non-at&t provider? Get your DSL service from them as at&t won't supply DSL for these. Note that this might change as a result of the latest monopoly rebuilding agreement.

2. Did you just move in? This causes problems releasing the line from the previous user. This is especially true if the previous user had DSL. It takes about 2-3 weeks after the disconnect order.

1. Has the line been previously rejected for DSL service? This is rare but I've run into it. The previous owner complained and complained about the service. Then, he moved. The line was listed as some kind of "problem" line and at&t refused to provision it.

2. Do you have a VoIP phone line with perhaps a cable modem? One of my customers was getting their phone service from the apartment building owner. He also provided internet service for the building, but the tenant decided it was overpriced. So, she called at&t and tried to order DSL on her VoIP phone line. Nice try.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I was told by redshift guy, not At&T that I am 7000.6 ft away from CO.

No.

No.

Mine is the opposite. I have AT&T but can't order DSL from anyone else. Their screen says that I cannot have DSL. So I ordered it from AT&T.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Did it work out for her?

Reply to
ME

OSP (Outside Plant) magazine and an editorial about the problems of offering service all the way out to the distance the technology will support (SBC used the 1500 ft and Verizon used 15,500 ft numbers). The article discussed unreliability when going all the way out. This might be part of why they prequalify the line with a truck roll before the due date.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

This is more of a "wireless" newsgroup, and not sure where you are located - but this is a great SBC/ATT discussion forum -

formatting link
actual techs avail behind the scenes

Reply to
P.Schuman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.