Lynksys wireless bridge only connects to search engine??????

Ive set up a wirelss system that are all linksys products. The problem connection is with one of the games bridges 54G.

Unlike with a normal port, where you get to see your internet connection in network connections, its not done this way. (Not sure why!)

Anyway, the machine had been connecting fine without any drops or hiccups. But in the past few days, it still connects to the internet as proven by using google to find sites, but when any address is typed or link in google clicked, I get page not found!

Now I could understand the problem if there was no connection and a google search got "page not found" but this is baffleing the hell out of me!

I should add, that as its on a small childs PC, I have installed "iprotect" to guard against innapropriate material - but even with that disabled, it makes no difference.

Any ideas how to get round this?

Cheers

Reply to
guv
Loading thread data ...

To clarify...... Just in case this was the cause, I have uninstalled it. Unfortunately the problem persists....

Cheers

Reply to
guv

The only obvious think I can think of is the DNS settings.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Gray

I'll assume you have a WRT54G and are running Windoze XP. In the future, kindly disclose what you're using for hardware and operating system so that I don't have to wake the genie in my crystal ball to devine your setup.

Look in the file: c:\\winnt\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\host with an editor (i.e. Notepad) and see if you don't have a large collection of lines that look like: 127.0.0.1

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
etc... These will redirect these web sites to your own machine. DNS lookups will fail. Delete all these except the line: 127.0.0.1 localhost which needs to stay. Search for: "browser hijack" with Google for details.

You'll need to run run a virus scan and a spyware scan to make sure you don't have any uninvited software running.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So much for my crystal ball. I'll work on getting its guesswork calibrated.

That is weird. In theory, the firewall, on or off, should not have any affect on DNS lookups unless the DNS cache in the router is affected. However, that should be cleared with just a power cycle. You might wanna start over and reset the WGA54G to defaults with the reset button (hold until the front panel lights flash), or the web interface, in case some other settings have been hosed. I don't think the setup wizard does a grand reset.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

He he. Yes point taken! Your assumption is correct regarding OS but as mentioned the item is a bridge 54G game adapter which there is only one - WGA54G

That was fine. Only localhost there.

However - have now discovered the problem!

A couple of nights back, the adaptor wasnt plugged in the mains - and obviously didnt connect. I re-ran the network wizard, which re-installed the connection. However - the firewall appears to be off by default (That seems weird!) . Ive just noticed this - and turned firewall on. Everything is now back to normal! ;-)

Thanks for your help

Reply to
guv

Yes. Just a guess(tm). The router has a DNS cacheing server. The router does the DNS lookup and then delivers it to the client computah. The client computah has it's DNS server settings set to the IP address of the router. If the DNS cache in the router gets somehow "stuck" with only the current IP's in the cache, it will only deliver lookups for what it know (and is in the cache). If connectivity to the internet fails, the router will still deliver DNS lookups for what's in the cache, but nothing new can be added.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Further to this....... any idea why a search engine request would get shown with the firewall off - but not anything else?

All seems quite strange to me!

Reply to
guv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.