Losing internet connection every night...

For the past two weeks, my logs have been telling me that my internet connection has been going down every single night around 3AM...

At first, I didn't think much of it and figured RR was doing some middle-of-the-night upgrades. After all, they did just bump us up to

7Mbps.

But after a while, it became irrating because from ~3AM to ~7AM, the connection would go up and down, up and down -- generating a bunch of logs.

Tonight, it happened much earlier and being awake, I found the guilty party. It seems the cat has decided that where the surge protector lies on the floor makes a nice place for him to sleep. The power adapter overlaps the surge protector strip just enough for it be rocked back and force: power on, power off, power on, power off! LOL

Damn cat...

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

Power adapter for one of my main routers...

Reply to
Eric

Solve the problem. Elim> Damn cat...

Solve the problem. Eliminate a protector that, when too close to the router and too far from earth ground, may even contribute to router damage. Instead install a properly earthed 'whole house' protector that does more than all other protectors combined. Don't blame the cat. The problem is a misplaced protector that also does not even claim to protect that router AND that has significant history in contibuting to damage of an adjacent appliance when too far from earth ground.

Did you know that phone lines and cable already have effective protection? Did you know those utility wires were already surge protected by something, installed free, that cats will not disturb?

Reply to
w_tom

"Eric" hath wroth:

How about building something like this?

However, it's not cat proof. Build a welded wire mesh cage, and put it over the mess. If it works, patent it as a cat proof power strip protector.

Actually, I've had to deal with far too many flakey and intermittent power strips. The internal brass contacts just simply do not apply enough pressure to the power plug blades. The power plug blades also vary considerably in thickness. Sometimes, I can twist the plug blades slightly, but most often, I'm stuck with replacing the power strip. I keep a supply in the truck. If the power plug or wall wart is loose in the receptacle, you are going to have flakey power problems, even without the cats help.

For power receptacles that are difficult to replace, such as those built into UPS power supplies, I have to decide whether to repair or replace. Most often, it's replace, but I do it in my palatial office, not in the field.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's actually a really nice story, considering how much troubleshooting if often needed to find the issue.

It wasn't a "technical" issue at all, personally I've found intermittent issues with wireless to be the most frustrating of all technical problems..

Reply to
David Fairbrother

For anyone who can read, the problem is the cat.

Excellent information on surges and surge protection from the IEEE is at:

formatting link
from the NIST at:
formatting link
Both say plug-in suppressors are effective.

Note that all interconnected equipment needs to be connected to the same plug-in suppressor, or interconnecting wires need to go through the suppressor. External connections, like phone, also need to go through the suppressor. Connecting all wiring through the suppressor prevents damaging voltages between power and signal wires. These multiport suppressors are described in both guides.

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--

Oh, I don't blame the kitty. Just thought it was funny.

The powerstrip is now behind a bookcase where he can't use it for a pillow...

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.