Looking for a wireless network adapter for my desktop

My router sits on the opposite end of the house to the desktop I would like to connect it to. My desktop is upstairs about 10m away through the floor. I want to buy a wireless adapter for it that gives me a strong signal. The signal i get from my Dell Inspiron laptop with the default network adapter when placed where my desktop is is perfect. I also have a Thomson Gateway TG585 v7 router so it has to be compatible with that. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
zomgitsliam
Loading thread data ...

I have had good luck with the Belkin Wireless G USB adapter sold at Walmart for $12.

formatting link
maybe this one would be good:
formatting link
If your laptop has good signal, any USB adapter would probably be fine.

Reply to
dold

And if it isn't, just get a USB extension cable and put it between the USB adapter and the desktop. The adapter then works as a moveable antenna. []'s

-- Don't be evil - Google 2004 We have a new policy - Google 2012

Reply to
Shadow

The WiFi-USB adapter I tried (on a Mac) gobbled about 15% of the 1.25 GHz processor all the time. Plus, from time to time it would forget what it was supposed to do and would have to be re-taught. Maybe that was because the folks who wrote the driver were incompetent at Mac programing; I don't know.

I fixed things by installing DD-WRT on a WRT-54 and using it as a bridge. Stable as a brick.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

My mac-inclined-friend had a similar experience. USB devices that worked were unstable, and none of them were fast. He didn't mention CPU performance. He went with a Powerline adapter, I think Netgear. I had read that the performance of those was poor compared to WiFi, but "mac" adds another variable.

I have another system where I had been using the Belkin USB, but I wanted "n" speeds. I bought DLink DWA-525 PCI card that works fine.

The USB does offer the advantage that it can be located on a cable for relocation for better reception.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.