A few VPN questions

Hey all,

I have a few VPN questions. I recently purchased VPN4all and I am extremely happy with it. I did have a few questions, however.

1.) I really enjoy the Chrome Browser, but am concerned about privacy. As Google is said to have removed the Unique ID, do I have to be concerned about privacy using this browser- in particular when file sharing? What is the safest browser to use?

2.) The VPN software is currently on my laptop. I have a wireless connection to my desktop, which is a DSL (comcast) connection without a VPN. Is this a privacy concern?

Thank you very much,

Tom Giarmo

Reply to
rwalker
Loading thread data ...

Something to note is that when you visit VPN4All with a US IP the price is $9.99 when you visit it with a EU IP the price becomes ¤9.99, but the dollar and the Euro exchange rate is not 1/1, Europeans end up paying more, couldn't they bill everyone with the same currency (dollars or anything else) like all others VPN do pricing isn't too fair for people in the EU so I call ripofff and wouldn't use them but that is up to you I may be wrong but I doubt it.

I like the Opera browser, but for a Chrome user I would say Comodo Dragon is safer, it is meant to be an improved Chrome browser with extra privacy features like no unique ID and other privacy stuff but since I don't use it I cannot recommend it but I wouldn't use Chrome since I use Opera which is a far superior browser with or without Tor the anonymity network of choice you might want to think about.

What matters is your router, the Internet gate, just make sure that your Wifi router is using encryption like WPA2 or WPA and regarding the ad-hoc wireless connection to your desktop you will need to be careful not to transfer confidential files inadvertently to the desktop but other than that I think it is OK however I would check with an expert in these matters as I am not only not an expert but I refuse to use wireless in the first place.

Reply to
box750

box750 wrote on [Thu, 3 Feb 2011 13:26:07 -0500]:

So, you're the one!

Reply to
Justin

SRware Iron

formatting link

Google Chrome is a derivative of Chromium. There are several derivatives of Chromium. SRWare Iron is a derivative. It disables the security breaches of Chrome.

Iron versus Chrome

formatting link
Google likes to circumvent account security. Rather than install their software under the \Program Files path, they dump their files under %userprofile% where users have read, write, AND execute permissions. This pollutes your *document* path with executables. Some shops have avoided this security loophole by setting permissions on the documents folder and all child objects to remove any write execute. That means any program trying to dump its executables under %userprofile% won't run from there. SRware Iron is polite in asking to where you want to install the program. Google doesn't ask. Their default is under the %programfiles% path. This is where Google dumps their software, like Chrome and Earth. It allows any user, even those under limited accounts, to "install" software by dumping it under %userprofile%.

I saw mention of Comodo's Dragon. That's another Chromium derivative. Alas, they usually stick a few versions behind. I don't know if this is because they don't have the manpower or resources to keep up to date or it is a deliberate choice to lag behind. It's been a couple months since I last checked but Dragon wasn't going to support the new hardware acceleration afforded in the latest (then beta) version of Chromium but SRware Iron would.

While there are some advantages to Chromium and its derivatives, I grew weary of deciphering which chrome.exe or iron.exe process was for which tab and having a huge list of these processes. Yes, there are 2 or 3 initial instances for the "chrome" and initial tab, but there is yet another instance for every plug-in you install. Just like with tabs, the idea was to isolate the plug-in so it crashing didn't necessarily take down a tab (but I found it did and required a recovery of the tab). After using either Chrome or Iron for awhile, I found that I needed several plug-ins to get back functionality that was lost from the more robust web browsers. Chromium was designed to be lean but it is too learn regarding many features that I expect in other web browsers. So I added plug-ins (extensions) to alter behavior or add missing behavior. By the time I got through and came up with a minimal set (for my liking) of plug-ins, just loading Chrome or Iron with a single blank tab ended up with loading 13 instances of chrome.exe or iron.exe. That's ridiculous. If they wanted to isolate the plug-in then it should be isolated within the same process or as a thread to the tab's process. Each added chrome.exe or iron.exe process that was just for the plug-in was huge. I forget the size know but it was huge when compared against the tiny size of the plug-in. Not that these are the sizes, but you'd get something like 6MB of memory consumed for a plug-in that only needed 15KB, or smaller. Just loading Chrome or Iron with my selected set of plug-ins had the total memory consumption over something like 70MB (I think it was higher and am being conservative here). Memory conservation is not what this web browser is about once you decide to fatten it up with behaviors it should've had or added behaviors that you wish to have.

Reply to
VanguardLH

to speak and remove all doubt

Dude...TAKE your own advice...that was a RAMBLING load of hogwarts...

THANKS

-- Gays make sick attempt at Harry Potter

formatting link
YOU want to be next...? Fuck with 'FOX then...
formatting link
with an internet connection, 5 grand, an iq above room temperature and basic literacy can grow outstanding cannabis.

Reply to
DasFox

Not that it matters in this case, but just so you know, Comcast is a cable provider. They don't sell DSL connections.

If you have Comcast, you have a cable connection. If you have DSL, you didn't get it from Comcast.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Where is Comcast advertising a DSL connection?

Reply to
Justin

I'm guessing it's similar to the way Ford advertises Toyota vehicles, as in, "we're much better than them, so buy ours instead of theirs."

Reply to
Char Jackson

I post to Wilders so I know this is a lie.

*plonk*
Reply to
rwalker

Pictures...?

THANKS

-- Gays make sick attempt at Harry Potter

formatting link
YOU want to be next...? Fuck with 'FOX then...
formatting link
with an internet connection, 5 grand, an iq above room temperature and basic literacy can grow outstanding cannabis.

Reply to
DasFox

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.