linksys wrt54g3g - ST vs AT

I happen to stumble across this linksys product for using a mobile broadband PC card inserted into a local wifi router/access point.

linksys wrt54g3g - but can't figure out what's different between the two models listed - AT vs ST

formatting link

Reply to
P.Schuman
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
The product literature doesn't tell you, but most likely its similar to D-Link's products. One is for Cingular/AT&T GSM cards and one Sprint/Verizon CDMA cards.

Reply to
DTC

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:37:02 -0600, "P.Schuman" wrote in :

AT = AT&T (HSPA) ST = Sprint (EV-DO)

Reply to
John Navas

Damn, now that is cool. I've been working on building out something like that myself (and probably will do so anyway), but it's nice to see some SOHO options.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

formatting link

It is VERY cool! I have a D-Link DIR-450 for a Sprint CDMA card.

formatting link
I have a unity gain roof top antenna on my truck for the Sprint signal and a 9 dBi fiberglass omni on my headache rack. I get about a thousand foot range to my laptop outdoors.

For a very redneck WISP access point on a telephone pole:

formatting link
It was a "make it happen fast" project. The grey thing in the front is a clothes dryer outlet cover for a house that has a fan behind it to exhaust air that's pulled into the box from a side mounted eaves vent mounted on the other side. The styrofoam box has a coat of white paint to protect it from the sun. Inside the box is the D-Link unit and PoE power injector for a wireless access point mount up on a pole with a 12 dBi gain antenna. Its mounted on cement blocks as the AC power strip's cord was too short.

BTW, the date on the pic is wrong, it should be summer of 2007.

Reply to
DTC

The hardware is the same. I've got the ST model but I use it with a Verizon aircard. I believe there are firmware downloads online that will change an AT into an ST, and vice-versa. I've had mine for two years and it works quite well.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I actually ran across the product mentioned in some other thread here where the person was "lost" - but probably didn't understand what they had. Anyway - thought it would be good to have a new thread with the specific product mentioned...

Reply to
P.Schuman

formatting link

here's a forum for EVDO - and the Dlink DIR-450 usage

formatting link

Reply to
P.Schuman

hah, that's awesome.

We're still 3-4 years away, so who knows what will change, but my goal is to build a BSD based (likely pfSense, if I were to do it today) firewall/router for the trailer we're planning to buy, I want to pop in an EVDO card as a fallback, plus be able to connect up to wifi or wired internet as applicable as we travel.

Inside will be a converted office space, with two laptops (for the two of us) and a media/file server connected up to the TV. It promises to be a fun project, with the end goal being for us to live in the RV and travel for a while

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.