Linksys WAP11 as a client of DI-624. Is it possible?

Didn't get it to work that way, but used an alternate solution.... Made the DI-624 a client of the WAP 11...

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I'm trying to connect WAP11 as a client of DI-624. Linksys User Guide says that such configuration is not possible, because WAP11 supports only client mode with some of linksys products. Is this true? Anyone has such experience?

best regards Tom

Reply to
Tomek F. (Fido__)

I'd have to dig out my notes, but as I recall, I hooked a 4 port passive hub to the cable modem, the wap 11 and the Dlink both into the hub. On the dlink I turned off the wireless completely (basically just used it as a hub), but the wireless and wired networks didn't see each other. Now I have a WRT54G that does both wired and wireless and lets them see each other, gives me wireless G, and the 4 port router on the back, let me replace the hub. Gave the DI-624 to a friend that had no wireless at all.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but as I recall the di-624 does B&G already, so why would you even want a wap11 that only does b? Unless, (I'm sure theres a way around it, but it didn't matter after I changed devices), like my first try, the address for the di-624 conflicted with the ICS stuff I set up so I could use a cellphone as a backup internet connection.

Can I ask a silly question? Why do you want em both? A friend of mine wanted to do that with the old wap11 and his di-624, but he just changed the default ip address.

Reply to
Peter Pan

As I know DI-624 is typical AP router and can't work as a client of other 802.11g AP. Did you do this???? If so, what version of HW and firmware you have?

Tom

Reply to
Tomek F. (Fido__)

Just something I sort of recall from the WAP11 Manual, they had a section in the manual about repeater mode to extend the range (didn't read the whole thing cuz it didn't apply to me), but any chance he can use it in repeater mode to extend the range of/from the to Dlink?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Why? I wanna share my internet conection with friend (I have DI-624 as my AP for my WiFi laptop card). Hi bougth WAP11 as a cheap solution without checking out what their "client mode" means. Linksys understand it very curiosly. In their reasoning, client mode is based not on

802.11* standard but on something strange. I'm not sure but my first impression is there is no way to use WAP11 with official firmware as a client of DI-624. I mean client as a wireless client - there is no possibility to put cables between us - just to clear my aim....

Tom

Reply to
Tomek F. (Fido__)

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.