Linksys router

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me? I am using a 'Linksys BEFSR41' router with built in firewall to share my internet connection. I am having trouble with a piece of peer-to-peer software I am trying to use. I requires an 'Incoming TCP listening port' which is defaulted to port 6881. When I try to test this port and any others I get a 'NAT error'. I am assuming this is something caused by my router.

I was wondering if anybody new of how I could go about solving this problem?

Kind Regards

Colin H

Reply to
Colin Hemmings
Loading thread data ...

You will need to access your router's configuration (default is http://192.168.1.1) using your web browser.

You will have to either forward TCP port 6881, or set up a port trigger for that port, and specify the address of the machine running the peer-to-peer software.

Reply to
Ernie

Thanks yeah, I have tried that. And it all seem to work great then after

5mins the connections drops. I reset the modem, which corrects it but then 5mins later the connection drops again. It seems like its something with the router as the modem lights are flashing fine. Unless I am specifying the wrong IP. Which it the best way to find the IP for my PC?

Cheers

Ernie wrote:

Reply to
Colin Hemmings

If you are using the BEFSR41 as the DHCP server, access the router's configuration and it will be listed under the DHCP clients tab. Or you can run winipcfg from your pc and it will show that pc's ip address.

Reply to
Renegade

Colin Hemmings wrote in news:4xFhf.4156 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

something

It sounds to me like you have a problem with the router. A long time ago, I tried to help a person that was trying to do port forwarding on a Linksys that had the same model that I had and it didn't work for him. He returned and got another Linksys and it had not problems.

You could try to flash the router with the latest version of the firmware and see if that will correct your problem.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Sounds like you might be overloading this router with too many connections. This router and many others like it are not designed to handle a lot of P2P traffic. Too many simultaneous connections. One way around this is to tune your P2P software to not allow so many connections.

Which v SR41 router is this? What firmware is loaded?

As an aside the BEFSR41 series do not actually have a built in Firewall. Although the later versions might have attempted it again. If you have settings called SPI or something similar then perhaps.

Reply to
Jbob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.