Linksys Diag Light always on IDEAS

I have no idea where to start with this. I have two Linksys wireless G routers V1.0 that both went down on the same weekend. They have been working fin for weeksn and then just stopped. Now the red Diagnostic light just stays solid and never turns off. Also I can't connect to the router using the IP address. Any ideas what I can try?

Reply to
HotRod
Loading thread data ...

My v1.0 WRT54G died the same way only about 2 months ago. I was browsing the web fine, when suddenly I lost the Wireless. I went to reboot the modem and router, when I realized the Diag light was solid. I did the reset (Hold reset button on back in for about 30 secs) with no success about 3 times, then gave up and bought a WRT54GL, and haven't had a shadow of a problem since. A word of advice for when you get a new one, is if you go Linksys again, go for the WRT54GL as the lates WRT54G (v5.0) has been cut down a fair bit commpared to the GL in terms of its flash memory and other bits and pieces. The GL will also allow you to use third party firmware if you wish. Personally I don't, but the option is always there.

When I got the GL setup (Took under 10 mins, thank God. I had a lot of work to catch up on!) I put the v1.0 aside to play with later. I found a guide online of how to "De-brick" the WRT series (Bare in mind it involves taking the system apart, voiding any warranty you may have.) and gave it a shot. Sadly, it didn't work which lead me to think that a hardware failure had occurred. I have read that this is common on v1.0s, so I guess we're just amongst the unlucky ones!

Hope this helps,

Neil

Reply to
Neil Barras

I think I ma have found the problem but whats killing me is that both routers at two different locations 1/2 km apart both went down on the same weekend. Anyways I took one of the routers back to my office to work on and realized I forgot the power supply over at the other building instead of running back I borrowed one from one of our similar VPN routers. Guess What? The think booted right up and started working, both Routers work with a new power supply but not with the old ones.

I guess there is enough power to light the router up but not run it. I've tried to power them with a multi voltage supply but that won't work either. Very Wierd.

Reply to
HotRod

Y'know - I think you've got something there! I should have tried that when mine died. Didn't think of it at the time though coz I had to get back to work ASAP.

Ah well - c'est la vie I guess.

Reply to
Neil Barras

Don't worry about it because if you read my new post attempts to use any other 5V DC power supply will not work. NONE. It will only work with the 5V DC supply from Linksys.

Reply to
HotRod

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.