Linksys BEFW11S4 - need older firmware (see inside)

Greetings all! I have the subject router with installed v1.52.02 firmware (the latest, I believe). I would like to roll back to v1.45.7 if possible but don't have it available.

Any idea where I might be able to get that version?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin
Loading thread data ...

You might try Linksys itself as they have an FTP site or you can ask Tech Support. The emailed me a older version of the firmware foe the

11S4 way back when I was using an 11S4.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Froggie the Gremlin hath wroth:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/ I couldn't find it in there.

I have: v1.40.1 v1.50.14 if you wanna try them. They're for the BEFW11S4 v4 and may not work with the other hardware mutations. If you have a v4 model, and are trying to fix the erratic hang problem, give up. It's not the firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is your problem anything to do with the router locking when using streaming media?

If so I know a fix, and will be more than happy to impart.

It'll make a change from me asking questions, which often don't get answered.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Macnamara

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:01:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrotd:

Thanks for the note, Jeff. Many of the communications I've received on this problem state that it started to occur at the v1.50 release level, and that at v1.45.7 all is well.

It sounds like that's not the case... any guidance?

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:12:08 GMT, "Chris Macnamara" wrotd:

It's really nothing more than the erratic hang problem Jeff mentioned in the previous msg. I was hoping (based on communication elsewhere) that I could eliminate it or at least drastically reduce the occurance of it. it's not specifically a streaming media problem... just happens during extensive downloads.

Thanks for the offer... I'm willing to try anything

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

I just found 1.46.02. No wonder my hard disk resembles my trash can. Is that close enough?

Yep. I've gone through about 5 firmware updates without the slightest improvement in stability. Some versions would hang on streaming media. Some versions would hang if you open too many streams (Bitorrent etc). All versions hang when attacked from the internet. Try the exploits test at:

formatting link
of the test will hang the router every time. I forgot which ones. Hmmm... site seems to be down for the moment. Oh-oh.

The current version just hangs randomly. Sometimes, it will go for a week without a problem. Other times, it's several times per day. Sometimes, it just clobbers one users connection, leaving everything else working just fine. I've had to resort to installing a lamp timer to power cycle the router once per day at night.

I just recently retired my BEFW11S4 after serveral years of cursing and swearing. The only thing I miss is that the radio performance is superior to the replacment WRT54GSv4.

Sure. However, you didn't bother disclosing what hardware mutation of the BEFW11s4 you have. Mine is the V4 and as far as I can tell, everything I have is for that version. If you have something else, don't try to install it.

There seems to be more than one person that wants the older firmware. Posted at:

formatting link
me some time to find and post the other versions. They're scattered on several machines and backup CD's.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No, but I'm aware of the streaming media problem. I don't do much streaming media (just Google Videos and such). Mine hangs without much provocation or traffic. The OP never specified the problem they were trying to solve.

I'm curious. What's the secret fix?

Huh? Is there a problem?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cut and pasted from a previos question on the ntl news group:

The streaming problem (known to Linksys, but not put right) only started when I upgraded to the frimware you mention. When starting any streaming media, the router would hang. Powercycle was the only solution, which always fixed it, until I tried to stream again.

To put it right, you need to make amendments to the settings in your streaming software.

In Media Player. go to the little drop down arrow at the top right of the screen. Choose Tools>Options>Network and then untick all protocols apart from HTTP, click Apply and you're done.

With Real One Tools>Preferences>Network Transport>Then click the RSTP Settings button, and untick all protocols, other than HTTP. Some intructions say to do the same with the PNA settings button, but I appear not to have done that, and it's working great now!

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Macnamara

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 05:39:40 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrotd:

I'm running the BEFW11s4 v4 model, but the link you gave above leads to firmware for the BEFSR41 (in name at least) which is *NOT* a WAP/router/switch, it's just a router/switch. Based on the firmware name, I really can't use it... unless someone gives me the super-secret handshake and tells me they're compatible devices

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

Junk the router, get a new one. Really, the replacement costs are a heck of a lot less than the hassles of putting up with that piece of junk. I've got one gathering dust because of it's defective behavior. Best $70 spent was getting a WRT54GS to replace it.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Froggie the Gremlin hath wroth:

Sorry. My error. Don't try it. I should have checked the revision history first: |

formatting link
leaves 1.50.14 which probably won't do what you want. I'll see if I can find some more images. They're on my backup CD's, somewhere.

The stuff in: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network only has the last two versions for the v4 hardware. Google search for what I would guess might be the filename didn't return anything useful. Bummer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:37:00 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wrotd:

Curious, with such a bad experience with a previous Linksys router... why did you go out and by another?

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

Several years difference between them and the WRT54G/S series can have a 3rd party firmware loaded on it. They've of course screwed around with that but I've got several pre version 5 units, enough to last me a while. I'd probably look at the Asus or Buffalo units that can also run dd-wrt were I to need new units.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I have befw11s4v4_fw_1457.zip which contains the bin file and tftp. But reverting to v1.50.10 from v1.52.02 seemed to help the streaming problem. I say "seemed to" since I only used it for two weeks after the downgrade and then replaced the it with a WRT54G v4. Now the BEFW11S4 sits on the shelf waiting patiently as a backup.

-- BenZ

Reply to
Plan9

Plan9 hath wroth:

Thanks for the emailed hint but you really should have posted the info you sent me. It seems that the BEFW11S4 stuff is misplaced in: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/ directory. The V4 collection includes: 1.45.7 1.50.10 1.45.3 at the bottom of the directory list.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:14:59 -0400, Plan9 wrotd:

BenZ, I'd love to try the v1.45.7 firmware, if possible. Feel free to send it to the address below... thanks!

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

I tried, but email from my hotmail to your gmail bounced. :-( Just go get it at: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/befw11s4v4_fw_1457.zip

-- BenZ

Reply to
Plan9

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:11:04 -0400, Plan9 wrotd:

Got it... thanks! You don't happen to remember the email error you got on the gmail account? I use it all the time without problem...

Thanks again!

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:52:52 -0400, Froggie the Gremlin wrotd:

Well, I finished all my testing with this router and have declared it an "ofishul" POS. After having followed all channels of possible relief for the symptomatic disconnects shown by this router (many firmware versions, etc.), I have decided (as others have, I believe) that it will never work reliably even in my limited internet applications (mostly extensive downloading). I want to thank everyone for all their help... and if anyone needs a slightly used LinkSys BEFW11S4 v4 WAP/switch/router, feel free to lemme know...

Thanks again!

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.