Laptop Wireless activation issues

I've got one of the nascar Laptops (don't laugh, i needed a computer, and it didn't cost much on newegg) i decided to format it recently, due to a lot of BSoDs... I installed Vista on it, since i already used the license of XP i had (MSDNAA gives access to certain programs for free, xp, vista, and server '03)... my problem is the fact that my wireless won't turn on now... it was a program installed that would react to a button press and turn on the wireless...but also in my BIOS there was a wireless auto-on option.... neither of them work. what do i do??? i'm wired with it right now, but i can't do that at my college, where i use it most often... tech support with the company is worthless, last time i had an issue, they basically told me to crack it open and fix it myself... i know there's some program out there that would allow me to use the button again, but i don't know where it would be...

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
ironstar
Loading thread data ...

ironstar hath wroth:

First mistake. You bought an unsupported laptop.

Second mistake. It wasn't working and you didn't return it, exchange it, or get it fixed.

Third mistake. You upgraded it from XP to Vista. It was giving you BSOD's under XP. Did you think that would go away under Vista? If it were a software problem, maybe, but not if it were a hardware issue (highly likely). Also, the advert is missing from the Newegg web site so I can't check if the laptop is Vista certified.

4th mistake. There's no such thing as free from Microsoft. Everything has a string attached somewhere.

Start over with XP perhaps?

If possible, try to identify the wireless card manufactory and product number. It's highly likely that there is a Vista driver available to download.

My how things have changed in the last 5 years or so. It used to be plug in and forget about wireless at the local colleges. Now, it's the other way around.

Do we get a clue as to the company name or is there some reason you find it necessary to withhold this information? If you can't find a manufactory, please supply the FCC ID number from the serial number tag. That can be tracked back to the vendor on the FCC ID web pile.

It's probably part of the wireless driver update that you might be missing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.