Laptop's built-in wireless makes other computers to disconnect

I have a laptop with built-in wireless which works fine. However, whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the computers can communicate with it again.

If I turn off the built-in wireless in the laptop and use a cardbus wireless adapter, everything works fine.

Any idea what I should try to get the whole wireless family get along (without having to use a cardbus adapter on the problematic laptop)?

Thank you very much for your insights and time. __ Sudarshan.

Reply to
Sudarshan Karkada
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, forgot to mention that all the computers use Windows XP.

Reply to
Sudarshan Karkada

My guess(tm) is that your built in wireless device is duplicating the MAC address or the IP address of the router.

Have you been playing with spoofing MAC addresses? If yes, remove the spoofing program and/or its changes to the network configuration. Similarly, check the IP address configuration for the built in wireless device, and make sure you have NOT setup a static IP address that's the same as the router. Set it to DHCP.

If you need further help, please supply the maker and model number of the laptop and wireless router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Are all the wireless computers using the same radio format, like 11b, G, or N, or is the problem machine using something different than the rest? Also check out the method it's using, Adhock or another method with regards to the rest of the machines.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

IMHO you should inform the vendor of the laptop. They know how to contact maker of the built-in wireless.

--pa

Reply to
Pavel A.

Hi Which Wireless manger is used in each case? I.e., the vendor's Wireless software software or Windows Native Wireless Utility (WZC). Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Reply to
Jack [MVP-Networking]

In my experience as to 'Wireless' that is quite tricky, unless you know it well, ...

All of the computers in my household needs to 'G' form of Adapters that are slower than 'N' form of Adapter. This seems to me primarily due to my ISP. If I'd use 'N' form of wireless Adapter, I can not connect at all or simply other PCs can not get Internet.

In my suggestion, try to ask your ISP whether your Laptop built-in wireless is compatible to ISP that you're subscribing. Also, I think that Router and Adapter needs to be same form. In my case, the Router is 'G,' then I can not use 'N' form of Adapters.

Because of my inexperience on Wireless and etc., I wasted quite money purchasing wrong adapters in the past.

Reply to
MapleE.

~ I have a laptop with built-in wireless which works fine. However, ~ whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from ~ the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the ~ computers can communicate with it again. ~ ~ If I turn off the built-in wireless in the laptop and use a cardbus ~ wireless adapter, everything works fine. ~ ~ Any idea what I should try to get the whole wireless family get along ~ (without having to use a cardbus adapter on the problematic laptop)? ~ ~ Thank you very much for your insights and time. ~ __ ~ Sudarshan.

My bias is to assume that, if some equipment needs to be power cycled in order to start working again, this means that there is a bug in that equipment.

So ... I would upgrade the code in the unspecified wireless router to the latest.

If that doesn't work, I would upgrade the code in the unspecified built-in adapter to the latest.

If that doesn't work, then you could commence troubleshooting.

Hth,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.