Laptop, router and channels

Agreed. Methinks the Intel Pro 2200BG is incorrectly setup for Ad-Hoc instead of Infrastructure.

Have you ever actually tried "auto" on a busy network? I have, with a Dlink DI-624 rev c1 v2.70 and was rather disgusted. What seems to happen (not sure) is that the AP uses the "noise level" to trigger a channel change. If the noise level is relatively high on all channels, the stupid access point will hop around every 30 seconds or so. That normally wouldn't be a problem if the clients were smart enough to follow the access point, but they're not. Intel Proset was fairly fast, but most took forever to realize that the access point has disappeared and finally decide to scan for a suitable connection. If the client is XP SP2 using Wireless Zero Config in the default "use any available connection" mode, it will often reconnect to someone elses access point. I've dealt with customers claim that their wireless clients will "jump" to a different access point without provocation. Investigation usually (not always) leads to an access point set to auto channel selection. I'm not a big fan of auto channel selection in its current implimentation although I can see where it might be useful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

My 3COM router was set to 'Auto' for the channel to use. My Gericom laptop, which uses Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG, was set to Channel 11. Unfortunately they wouldn't connect like that and so I have had to set the router to channel 11 - the router didn't seem to want to match the laptop's choice and the laptop doesn't have an 'auto' setting (at least not one I can find).

Is it possible to get the laptop to connect to the router with the router set to 'Auto'? I would like to have the network set up to be as flexible as possible.

Reply to
F

F wrote in news:436e804a$0$63071$ed2e19e4@ptn- nntp-reader04.plus.net:

Most people set the router and card to their choosing and don't let the device dictate what is to happen. Leaving things in a default or automatic state can lead to your wireless network being hacked.

The basics

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

A wireless client isn't supposed to pick its network by channel but by name (SSID). I suspect you may be creating an ad-hoc network on your laptop. This is not the way to connect to a managed (or "infrastructure" or "base station") wireless network.

Unless you really need a fixed channel, such as for WDS, letting the access point choose its channel automatically is usually the best choice, as it allows the AP to pick a channel that minimizes interference from other APs or RF sources.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Hi. Thanks for the response.

From memory - I looked at a lot of menus when trying to sort this out - I rejected the ad-hoc choices. Perhaps the laptop, in its infinite wisdom, decided ad-hoc was the way to go!

I haven't got access to it at the moment but I'll check later.

Reply to
F

Intel Pro 2000BG page with lots of reading material: |

formatting link
Intel Proset Users Guides: |
formatting link
What you probably have: |
formatting link
is little mentioned about ad-hoc networks. I'm *GUESSING* that you have somehow set it up as an ad-hoc client because that's the only condition by which you can select the channel number on the client. The first settings on profiles: |
formatting link
picture) shows the check boxes for infrastructure and ad-hoc. Wipe the profile, start over, create a new profile, use infrastructure, and it should play.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Any advice on how to move it to Infrastructure?

Reply to
F

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.