Laptop and wireless internet conncetion

My laptop is an Acer aspire 1353LM (with Windows XP). I bought it in february 2004. I am going to move in to a place where there is wireless Internet connection. My laptop is not compatible with this kind of conncetion. Do you how it is possible to make it compatible? inserting a card? How much expensive could be?

Is the wireless Internet connection slower than the normal one? Can you use skype with that?

Thank you for your answers.

Reply to
Moebius
Loading thread data ...

Skype works very nicely with WiFi internet connections. WiFi is often faster than the local connection to the internet.

You would want to buy either a card to put in the PCMCIA/Cardbus slot, or a "dongle" to plug in to your USB port. Etiher one should work well if the WiFi access point is nearby. An external USB adapter might give a little more range, but isn't as portable.

card:

formatting link
formatting link
external USB:
formatting link

There are faster and longer-range products available, if you know exactly what network you will be connecting to.

Reply to
dold

Ok, thank you a lot. So as far as I have understood any laptop can work with wirless internet connection, for instance by an external USB adapter , isnt' it?

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXLapto.usenet.us.com wrote:

Reply to
Moebius

On 25 Jun 2006 06:56:41 -0700, "Moebius" wrote in :

Yes, *if* the OS supports both USB and a driver for the USB adapter.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.