Is my laptop secure?

I just got a laptop with built in wireless and have been having fun driving around to coffee shops and what not seeing what signals I can pick up. I notice "computer to computer" connections available although I have not tried to connect to them. Am I right to assume that these connections are also laptops or other wireless devices in the area? If that's true, could someone connect to my laptop when my wireless card is enabled and if so is there some security I should set up?

Nother question - should I use the Windows Zero Configuration Utility or the Intel Proset/Wireless utility? I have been using the windows configuration utility and it seems fine, but was wondering if the Intel Proset has better features, etc? If not, should I disable the Intel Proset software so it isn't taking up resources?

Good Karma to you!

Reply to
Rick Rogan
Loading thread data ...

Those are usually a user who has a wireless access point WAP or router with WAP that have left their network open on purpose so that others around them can use their setup to access the Internet wirelessly or users that don't know how to secure the wireless part of their network and it's wide open to be hacked.

The only thing that can happen to you is if you join someone's wireless network with the laptop and don't have the laptop protected with a FW and/or the O/S secured from attack as someone can join the network too and access your machine. The only other thing that could happen is someone spoofing the wireless traffic between the WAP and your wireless card, which enabling WEP or WPA helps that situation. However, you must know the WEP or WAP the WAP or router with WAP is using and match it with WEP or WPA key the card must use and match it.

I also like to use XP's wireless features instead of the 3rd party utility as it made XP more stable. You can or cannot disable Wireless Zero Configuration. I disabled WZC as it's for roaming for the most part and I was not roaming looking for open wireless networks to connect too.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Yes, they are WiFi clients offering connections in IBSS (Independent Basic Service Set also knows as Peer-to-Peer or Ad-Hoc) mode, as opposed to the Access Point (also known as Infrastructure ESS or Wireless Distribution System) mode. There is a vulnerability if you accept such a connection request and run Microsoft Client for Networks software and if you offer shared documents with no password control. So maybe relax :-)

Whichever is more convenient/more stable/has better features for your use.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

When using public wi-fi make sure you have your Windows firewall enabled. Don't use email software like Outlook or Outlook Express because it transmits your password in plain text to anyone in the vicinity who might be sniffing the traffic. (spying) For email use your providers webmail application and make sure you sign in using a "secured" method. You often have to go out of your way to sign in securely. Look for that option at the sign-in web page. But even after you sign in securely the actual email messages are sent to your computer un-secured so it is not private and there could be hackers lurking about.

Reply to
DanR

You should be using some sort of VPN service (or equivalent). Those coffee-shop networks that some people set up are notoriously insecure.

See:

"

formatting link
" $60 per year. "
formatting link
" $40 per year. "
formatting link
" Free.

Reply to
SMS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.