is linksys WRT54G/S suitable for me?

Hi I have a 2 floor home with dimensions roughly 20 x 6 meters for each floor. the floors are connected with a staircase.

Would Linksys WRT54G/s (v6 or v7) be suitable for me? If not, which one do you recommend?

Reply to
interuser
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I have two story house(~ 3000 sq. ft. not including developed basement) I had a same router(older version with dd-wrt firmware) in the middle of top floor in the loft and desk top in the basement could reach it wirelessly with no problem. If I were you, I'd buy WRT54GL and load it with dd-wrt(3rd party firmware) and put it into service. I am using Buffalo router now. Daughter took the Linksys when she got transfered. Buffalo works as well with latest version dd-wrt firmware.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I understand you live in Canada and so I guess your home must be made of wood. Where I live (Cyprus) they are made of cement and bricks and I do not know if that has a negative impact on the router's range.

Any ideas on this ?

Reply to
interuser

I live in a 3-story wood home in Minnesota. I've used the WRT54G router for several years, and it reaches everywhere in the house, including my large deck. This is outstanding, since the router sits on a computer desk in my home office in the basement of our split-level home. I did add a pair of longer antennas to the router (I believe I got them from Linksys). My wireless iPaq PDA also works great in the upstairs bedroom...two flights up.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

depends on how the floor is constructed - we use a single linksys that covers a 4 bed detached house fine in the uk.

Reply to
Neuromancer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.