Is it legal to access an open wi-fi access point?

Just proof that you are an elitist snob that always buys new, instead of used. Ever hear of want ads/the recycler/ebay etc?

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

If I'm travelling and do not have access to my ISP (it's broadband, and they don't have a dial-up number), I would use whatever open wi-fi network I could find to check my email and/or minimally access the Internet. I would not access his *private* network, but would use his open WAP to access *my* network or the *public* network as unobtrusively as possible. The private network is off-limits, even if it is not secured properly.

I don't know if it is totally legal or not, but I believe it is ethical.

regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I have WAPs that have been unplugged for months. When I plug them in, the customized settings are still there. Your case is so exceedingly rare that I don't think it counts.

Reply to
dold

I don't sell my old stuff, which is how it happens that I use WAPs and routers that are old. I haven't found a single one that is at factory defaults when powering it back up.

Reply to
dold

Oh please people quit being so technical if the signal is there and its not secured then use it. Its just a freaking access point. If the owner of the access dont bother to secure it then it becomes public access as far as I am concerned. Its just like turning on your tv set without cable. Whatever local stations you pickup on your tv set screen you can watch them. So whatever stations (access points) I pick up on my computer screen I use them to watch the internet. Its not big deal. If it were to the people broadcasting the access then they should learn about how to use and secure WiFi its that simple.

Gary wrote:

Reply to
Cox News

For me if the doors open and unlocked... I?m coming in watching their TV, DVDs, while sitting on their lounge chair, making a pig out of myself while drinking their beer eating their food in the refrigerator, make a few calls on their phone, maybe take a shower in their bathroom, take a nice crap, might even take a nap in their bed if I have time. And then on the way out pat Brono the guard dog on the head and say thanks bud see you tomorrow. Bottom line is if someone wants it bad enough they are going to do it. You can lock your door and dead bolt it, install all your security systems, get a vicious guard dog it don?t matter anything can be infiltrated so what does it matter. Plain and simple if you don?t use the safe guards anyone can do it even an amateur can press the "view wireless connections" button on their computer and then select any one of those "Unsecured wireless networks" from the list. Everything you read out there about Wi-Fi address the security issues right up front its no secret. People that use the technology should be aware of the issues but they just ignore it and they will become more educated in time. Its all new stuff to a lot of people and getting more popular daily. In a year or two this will all be different the technology, equipment and even the way we use it. I do use security with my network but for me if it wasn?t I don't care if someone else is using my connection without my knowledge. Hey I don?t mind sharing especially if they can?t afford it. If it becomes a problem like slowing down my speed because of the access bandwidth being used up. Then I can secure it lock them out and its all mine again. So why do I secure my network then? Well once again when I first started looking into Wi-Fi and equipment everywhere I read it tells you its a good idea to secure it. Hey chill out ?there are more serious problems in this world like helping tsunami victims and trying to bale our country out of Iraq before we have no army left and no tax dollars left to even help our own. Using someone?s Wi-Fi connection should be the least of our worries when the simple answer is just a few key stokes on ones computer configuration. PS: I?m not one for breaking in, but my curiosity has me walking in and while there may as well enjoy myself. That?s just my perspective as nutty as I am. But who cares you only live once enjoy life and what it offers including Wi-Fi.

Reply to
Cox News

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:17:54 -0700, Cox News spoketh

The difference is that radio and TV broadcasts are intended to be for public access, so that's a bad analogy.

Just because someone forgets to lock the door to their home doesn't make ok to walk in and live in their house.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

What is it with you wackos that keep comparing using the public airwaves to criminal acts?!?!??! Think of it more like I have a radio up, playing a copywrited song.. Is it illegal for people to listen? Is it illegal to play copyrighted songs on my radio?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks for proving my point once again what a whacko you are.. You are again comparing using the publics airwaves to criminal tresspass..

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:01:30 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh

What is it with you wackos that believe that accessing people's private networks is like listening to the radio? Just because someone forgot to lock the door doesn't make it public.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Aman Peter Pan

Reply to
Cox News

See, now it's THREE times.....In your past posts youi have constantly compared using WiFi and open routers as like walking into a house with the front door unlocked..

By the way, I never said anything about assuming/implying etc, to me it's just different ways of looking at it.. I assume it is open unles someone closes/locks it, others assume it is closed/locked unless the person comes out and hits you upside the head and says come one in! Think of it as some people assume an AP is open unless it is locked, and others assume it is locked unless it is opened by someone. Brings to mind coin returns on a vending machine.. some people assume there is no money in them and don't bother looking, and others assume there may be money in them, and they keep looking. As far as I know, there are no laws against looking in coin returns and taking any money you find... I'm guessing you think it is illegal and is equal to bank robbery.

Reply to
Peter Pan

You obviously are one of those stupid or illiterate people that can't read.... Are you just naturally that dumb, or has some foriegn substance clogged your arteries and invaded your brain, cutting off the blood flow?

I can'r believe the idiots in here.. First misreading what I said, and then claiming what they THOUGHT I typed was something else, and then equating it with a criminal act.

Robert Jacobs wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:36:57 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh

No I'm not. I'm arguing that wireless networks that are not intended to be public, but which are due to the owners failure to secure it, should still be considered private. Connecting to such a network should therefore be considered criminal trespass on a computer system as defined by the laws in the whichever state has jurisdiction.

You're the "Whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization or without reasonable grounds to believe that he has such authorization..."

Then there's interpretations. Apparently, you think that because the access point is not secured that implies that authorization have been given. I do not...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

As for patience, nope, fraid I have very little. As for degradeing people? not usually, but there are some people that are so pig headed/braindead/sure their opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.. I see no point in my wasting my time trying to make nice, I just call em a*;s If you want to discuss anything, I'm more than happy to discuss things, but I don't feel a need for trying to discuss anything with a brain dead unwilling to learn idiot, and after I reply to the same idiot TWICE with info yet they continue to make stupid unfounded absolute statements, that very little patience goes out the window..

At any rate, I was th> Sorry Peter, but I just replied to the wrong string of the message. I

Reply to
Peter Pan

I dont think the origional poster is asking for your opinion, which is wrong by the way. He is asking if its legal or not.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Calm down Hanen for Christ sakes read my post your over reacting. Cut all the technical and legal BS these so many reasons why and why not to use this friggin wi-fi stuff. Whether your paying for the service and other are sharing it with or with you knowledge and you can still access your internet and do what you need to do then live with it. Quite complaining you all sound like a ole bunch of whine teenagers. Wi-Fi is here and here to stay if it there use it if its not sign up for NetZero.

Reply to
Cox News

Calm down Hanen for Christ sakes read my post your over reacting. Cut all the technical and legal BS these so many reasons why and why not to use this friggin wi-fi stuff. Whether your paying for the service and other are sharing it with or with you knowledge and you can still access your internet and do what you need to do then live with it. Quit complaining you all sound like a ole bunch of whine teenagers. Wi-Fi is here and here to stay if it there use it if its not sign up for NetZero

Reply to
Cox News

Sorry Peter, but I just replied to the wrong string of the message. I am agreeing with you, I was pointing my comments towards Cox News.

But I see you are one of the people on USNET that have no patients and likes to degrade other people who might have a different point of view.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.