Access Point

I'm wondering if an access point would be the way to go here in the office. Right now I have a linksys 802.11b wireless cable/dls router/4 port hub. And I have the DHCP disabled. Basically using it for an access point. But it is old. WEP and no WPA. No new bios updates since 2002. As of right now, we manually assign ip addresses to the workstations. Our sonic firewall/router also has the DHCP disabled. And we are running NT Server 2003. So would a simple access point be all I would need? I am looking at the linksys Wap54G. I would assign it an ip address, subnet mask and gateway address. And that should be it?

I've read that WPA is much better than WEP.

Reply to
Greg
Loading thread data ...

What makes that a strong passphrase? Do you _know_ it is, or is that a guess?

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I hear that using static IP(s) is a tremendous Admin burden and it is better to use DHCP IP(s). I don't agree with it myself. But how is that working out for you on the Admin part? Is the Admin part of assigning IP(s) a tremendous burden for you? It never was for me in my little set-up.

Have you looked at the price difference between a G router that can be converted into a AP, which I have taken the 11S4W router and converted it into a switch and connected it to my WatchGuard as opposed to the cost of a stand alone WAP device.

I have never used a standalone WAP device, but I would think it would have some better features in the area of security than a router converted to a switch. I myself would choose a standalone WAP in a business situation myself if I had to choose between the two.

And WPA is suppose to be a better wireless encryption technology than WEP.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Correct. Wep gets broken in a matter of minutes. Choose a strong passphrase for WPA such as

xY%5u*2$h!d$f"h#K@=]H7F8%*n

Reply to
David Taylor

Taking a moment's reflection, Derek Broughton mused: | | What makes that a strong passphrase? Do you _know_ it is, or is that | a guess?

It could be a bit longer ... but it's stronger than "pencil" ;-)

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Stronger = longer. Stronger = more random (less guessable).

Reply to
Neill Massello

In this case, one that isn't likely to be found in a dictionary or one that will take computationally too long to brute force crack. If you want get into statistical analysis of chosen characters then that's another matter altogether.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I got bored! :)

Trouble with strong passphrases is that they're incompatible with humans.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I keep an old church hymn book in my office and use it to compose my passphrase. I choose an old familiar song, then use the page number, the hymn number and the first letter from each word in the first two lines of the song. This is easy to remember, but should be nearly impossible for anyone to break.

Reply to
Gordon

I know that, but the question was really meant to ask if it was stronger because David "felt" it was stronger, or if there was some provable reason that it was stronger. Essentially, other than trying to use things that can't be found in a dictionary or well-know book, I haven't ever seen a discussion of _how_ to make a strong passphrase. In particular, I somehow doubt that the average human is really capable of making a string "more random" (though we're all pretty good at longer :-) )

Reply to
Derek Broughton

LOL, after all this time, we're still having a hard time making a cipher Julius Caesar wouldn't have understood (because, as David said, strong passphrases are incompatible with humans).

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Well, I'm no mathematician; but it seems to me that randomness essentially equates to patternlessness for a finite string of characters. You can prove that a string has a pattern by finding the formula for the pattern, but I don't know if there's a formal way to prove that a given string *doesn't* have an undiscovered pattern.

In any case, you're playing the odds when you use passwords and other combination locks. There's at least some chance that an attacker will guess even a very long and patternless password on the first try. All you can do is make it less likely by avoiding known strings, including known nonsense like "supercalifragilisticexpealidocious".

There's a lot of software that generates passwords. The products are the result of a mechanical process, of course, so they're not truly "random"; but they're more patternless than the strings humans tend to generate.

Reply to
Neill Massello

formatting link

Reply to
David Taylor

Well, makes some sense, maybe:

formatting link
Neill Massello wrote: All

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.