Improving Wifi signal with a Yagi?

Hi,

I've an HP DV8000 with a high end WiFi card. Often I'm in a location where I get bumped on and off the net..I can move the laptop 5 inches one way and get back online with a decent signal. What I'd like to do is build a Yagi or Cantenna device but there is no connector for a antenna to plug in. Is there a way to improve WiFi reception by an external device if you don't have an external connector?

TIA.

Reply =BB

Reply to
janitor
Loading thread data ...

Yes, but not free... Just keep moving the laptop, that's free...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Sorry, forgot to add how to do it the NOT free way.. I have a laptop in my RV and very often I get a marginal signal due to distance or interference from the RV itself (or stuff inside).. I got an external USB unit (dongle type/small/self contained/powered over the USB cable, can be placed at least

6 ft away from the laptop with the included extension cable, can plug into a USB hub, and can use USB extension cable(s) up to 20 FT long (or more, only tested it with 2 10 ft extensions).. perfect in the rv, I put/have it in the window, turn off the laptops wireless (you can have both internal and external), plug it into a USB port, and kick back on the couch).. When I don't need it, I just unplug the USB cable and turn the internal back on.. Did have to spend about $30 though at walmart.. :(
Reply to
Peter Pan

snipped-for-privacy@scgis.com hath wroth:

The MiniPCI card in your HP DV8000 probably uses u-FL connectors. Puchase a u-FL to N, TNC, or SMA pigtail and attach an external antenna. Unfortunatly, you may need to drill a hole in your laptop case if you can't find a convenient exit point.

formatting link
of page)

Hint: Forget the yagi. Too difficult to build and carry. The can is easy to build but also bulky. I suggest a patch, panel, or biquad antenna.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 27 Jun 2006 05:50:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@scgis.com wrote in :

I think a much better solution is to simply get something like the Hawking HWU8DD

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.