How to start?

Hi guys! (and gals).

I'm looking to set up a wifi lan and need help getting started. What I have now is Yahoo DSL with a wireless device sitting on top of my computer and NIC card in one box. Nothing else is hooked up at all.

What I want to do is hook up 2 Windows boxes (one PRO, and one Home), and one Linux (ubuntu) box on a wifi scheme.

I have NO idea how to get up to speed, due to too much input and my head is about to explode:)

I haven't bought any equipment yet and need help with brands and model numbers (especially due to the Ubuntu box, right?).

All PC's are within 100 ft of each other, although one must go through 3 walls. I'm thinking of an antenea, outside, so all PC's just have one thin wall to pierce.

Can someone recommend a book (I've read 3 that just confused me), or guide or something to help narrow down my choices?

TIA.

TM

Reply to
Travis McGee
Loading thread data ...

"Travis McGee" hath wroth:

Ok, so you already have an PBI/SBC/Ameritech/Yahoo/whatever DSL modem. Correct?

No problem assuming you have line of sight. If you're going through walls, there may be problems. One wall is usually no problem as long as there's no aluminium foil or chicken wire in the wall. Two or more may be a problem.

Great. I can see that marketing has done it's job. Note that my company motto is "If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me". I guess I should extend that to "If anyone understands how this stuff is suppose to work, I would be out of business". Welcome to the wonderful world of wireless, where everything is magic, hype, invisible, confusing, or all the aformentioned.

Ubuntu is no different than any other box. There's NOTHING that needs to be installed on the Linux box to connect to the internet. The DHCP client will get an IP address, gateway address, and DNS server IP's from your new wireless router, and you're connected.

The only complication is that if you decide to use your Linux box as a gateway/router/firewall. At your current level of expertise, I would advise against it.

Also, don't forget that you need wireless client devices for your various computers.

Maybe. 100ft going through 3 walls isn't going to work with such an arrangement. I strongly suggest you look into alternative methods of networking, such as power line networking, phone line networking, fiber, coax, CATV piggyback, or just run CAT5 cable all over the place.

Book? Whazzat? Do they still print those?

For a good general overview, browse through:

This covers the basics fairly well.

There's lots more on the site under tutorials, how-to's, and FAQ's. Watch out for the dates on various articles as things change very quickly in wireless.

When you think you've found a winner, see the performance test comparison at:

Some wireless router really suck.

There's also the alt.internet.wireless FAQ's at: FAQ for Wireless Internet: FAQ for Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi How To: Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems:

Finally, if you want to dig a bit deeper into how it all goes together, the Intel wireless hotspot guide is worth skimming. It's no longer on the Intel web pile, so I posted a copy at:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hey thanks Jeff! I see you're in SC. I LOVE that place. Used to surf there in the 60's. Just off the boardwalk.

Ok, I get some of this. But, I'm thinking I need a router (this can serve as an AP, right?) for the security. So.....say I want a good one, good range, built in firewall and VPN.........? What would you buy? I'm going to play with it some, maybe transmit to my mom's house for her to use (200 ft.). Need a plug-in for external antenae, I'm thinking. Plus some wireless cards, PCI right? Can you recommend a model or two?

I also order another book...........:(

thanks!

TM

Reply to
Travis McGee

I tried surfing a few times in my life. I was a total klutz and gave up early.

You didn't tell us what you already have. Got a DSL modem?

A "wireless router" has several sections inside including:

1. An ethernet router that plays firewall, NAT, and other Layer 3 (IP layer) functions.
  2. A wireless access point that does wireless on Layer 2 (MAC layer).
  3. A 4 port ethernet switch for plugging computahs into the wireless access point.

Well, no guarantees on the 3 walls, but I'm partial to the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT v23 SP2 firmware. However, the firmware might be a bit overly complex for you. Here's what it looks like:

VPN is too vague. There are routers that either terminate, inititate, or do both with as many as 3 types of VPN's (IPSec, PPTP, SSL, L2TP). You'll need to be more specific. The good news is that DD-WRT v23 SP3 (not sp2) has a decent PPTP client and server inside.

Incidentally, I don't buy anything. I get my customers and client to do the buying.

Probably. It would be interesting to try it without an external antenna. Borrow a laptop with wireless and go for a walk.

Maybe. You did't bother to specify the computer type (desktop, laptop, server, PDA, game machine, TIVO, etc). I can't offer any suggestions without such details. Makers and models are even better.

I'm not a big fan of PCI wireless cards. The problem is that the antenna tends to get buried under the desk, behind the shielded metal case, in the middle of a tangle of wires. You can get a better antenna, on the end of some coax, but the coax cable losses are substantial.

My preference is a wireless ethernet client bridge at the end of an ethernet cable. Incidentally, some of these bridges will allow you to add more than once computah behind the bridge. The catch is that they're not as easy to use as PCI, PCMCIA, or USB. You have to point a web browser to the setup page, and individually configure the connection each time you want to switch connection. That's fine for a fixed installation that doesn't move or change, but if you're gone travelling or hot spot hopping, it's a PITA. For travel, I prefer a "travel router".

I don't like USB because of the requirement to add drivers on the computah, tiny antennas, and a 16ft USB cable limitation.

I can, but I won't. I have only a minimal appreciation of what you're trying to do and what you have to work with. I also get into hot water with my clients when I recommend the competitions hardware.

Don't worry, it will be obsolete by the time it arrives.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes, sorry, a DSL modem. Standarad issue from ATT.

Well, you done lost me, need to read some more........

All desktop PC's, one with an old Epox board, AMD 1600, new one is an MSI,

3000 Barton, and probably a new box for video streaming.

Just pondering what I want to do is: share the high speed with all boxes and mom. Don't care about file sharing. All the boxes are in different rooms.

I'm not real happy with the DSL right now. Att yahoo..........may switch to cable, RoadRunner. Actually, I just want to figure out how this stuff works and play some with it. I'm not a power user, just a curious type. I'd like to port video from my net flicks server to the TV, free movies with my account, you know.

I'll get back to you when I can ask some more intelligent questions, OK? Thanks for the input.

Travis

Reply to
Travis McGee

Hi. Easy question. I'll chime in;

Modem end:

You'll need a wireless router connected to your modem to distribute the Internet by cable and wireless. As Jeff said, a good safe bet for a router is the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. Everyone knows it, as good or better range than most and can add that firmware later. Has a removable antenna if you need to put something stronger on it, but comes with a better than average antenna anyway.

For now, replacement firmware is going to be too much for you. Just use what the Buffalo comes with.

On the computer(s) end you need an adapter that has it's own radio, and converts the wireless signal into one of the three:

1) ethernet (called ethernet client adapter) and connects by ethernet cable to your pc. This cable can be run up to 400' 2) USB cable into your pc - 15' limit 3) PCI or Pcmcia, which go directly into the computer. - no cable to the PC needed, but for that reason it's antenna might need one to get in a good position. Antenna cables suck...signal strength.

So, agreed that PCI cards have that problem, I'd say skip those too. However, I think that the USB client adapter is perhaps the best choice in your case. You can get one or two cheap USB wireless adapters one for the computers nearby and perhaps get one of the USBs adapters that has a higher gain antenna for the computers that are farther away. Put it on a USB extension and then place it where the signal is best.

3 walls. There is another system called powerline networking. If you can't pick up your wireless signal after going through so many walls, then you drop another $100 plus on a pair of these guys and plug one into your router and the wall socket and the other plugs into you distant computer and the wall socket.

To start with, get one router and one simple USB adapter for your closest pc. You could buy the matching Buffalo USB adapter, but you could also go to Fry's or wherever and buy a $20 cheapo and it should work. Learn how to set up your router, then use that one for testing your reception (once the router is in place) to help decide what your other two pcs need.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Ok, got it up till now. Is this the cable that bypasses the wifi and goes directly to a pc? So from the router to the PC, no problem with distance? (up to 400') This plugs into the LAN port?

Ok, here's my plan:

I'll get the cablemodem attached near the TV and media computer. Run it directly into the LAN port, right? this should allow me to run the video with minimum loss. (ported to the TV with the video out on my video card.) Then, I'll get some USB's for the others and pick up the signal with these.

Now, do the instructions that come with the router tell you how to set the addresses? Or is there a book or something........I'm clueless. The TV PC will have XP Home, the farthest PRO, and my play box will have Ubuntu, current..

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

Reply to
Travis McGee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.