home network nirvana

I would love to find a single device that provides: Wireless Access Point Gigabit Router Easy VPN access - preferrably web based like the SSL VPN Client

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

Anyone know of such a device?

Reply to
Jason

formatting link

Reply to
P.Schuman

Given that standalone gigabit routers are cheap, as are 802.11g and draft-N routers, why bother jamming them into one box? It's a simple matter to use a short ethernet cable from one to the other to bridge their switches together. That and you get the added bonus of putting heavy gigE traffic devices onto their own switch and not have it intrude on the rest of the network. I did this with my Media Center PC, 2 Tivos (using 100baseT of course) and a fileserver and it GREATLY improved the Tivo-to-PC transfer times.

I could see a few situations where it might see desirable, but not enough to justify the added cost and likely decrease in flexibility.

=Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I would agree with Bill here.

Beside, when it comes time to replace a certain portion you can retain the other bits that are still functioning.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

~ > I would love to find a single device that provides: ~ > Wireless Access Point ~ > Gigabit Router ~ > Easy VPN access - preferrably web based like the SSL VPN Client ~ ~ > Easy VPN access - preferrably web based like the SSL VPN Client for WebVPN from cisco ~ ~ Anyone know of such a device?

If you're good with 10/100BaseT rather than GigE, and don't mind the price tags, our

851W/871W/1811W line of Integrated Service Routers should meet the need ...

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

from cisco

I agree - I think an 851W is in my future...

Reply to
Jason

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.