Help With Free WiFi !!

I own a small cafe and want to give my customers (maybe 10 at most) free wifi access when they sit and eat. I have Netgear wireless router but it runs on a WPA2 requiring a password.

My concerns are two things. One so that I don't have to give out and change passwords every day and two keeping access limited to a very small, open atrium area. I turn the router on/off as I come and go.

Any help is appreciated!

Kim

Reply to
Kimmy Boyer
Loading thread data ...

If you are lucky your router is supported by the DD-WRT or Tomato firmware upgrade. With either of them them you should be able to set up a "cafe" style access system with out a password being needed.

You can set it up to present a screen with your house rules that the user has to click on and accept before they are allowed onto the internet.

Here is a link describing the DD-WRT firmware and Cafe access.

formatting link
If your present router is not supported a suitable replacement can be found at many places like Ebay, Tigerdirect.com, and many other places.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

formatting link

Thanks, my router is a WGT624v3 not supported but I can pick up a Linksys no problemo! I found ready-rolled Hotspot software with Click-Thru from your link.

formatting link
Ther atrium area is approximately 2,000 sft 50x40 and is separated from the cafe by glass walls and a hallway.

Anyway I can limit the access to the atriuk area only (that is where all the seating is)?

Kim

Reply to
Kimmy Boyer

formatting link
>

Sounds like you have a plan.

You should be able to eliminate the need for you to power down the router when not needed as most DD-WRT versions of the software can also be told what times and day of the week the wireless can be accessed.

You might want to allow an extra 30 to 60 minutes for those few who stay late. There is usually an easy procedure you can follow to override the time lock should you have a special party planned during your normal "closed" times.

Most DD-WRT have control over the transmitter power and can lower it to limit the coverage area, it depends on the router chosen. Take care if you raise the power level above the default as many routers can overheat with out a fan modification. Some manufacturers limit the transmitter power in order to maintain adequate cooling with out the need for a fan or a more open design of the case.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist
[snip]

no reason not to shut it down completely, and it'll save power, too [a].

A hardware based plug-through-timer is what, $10 or so these days? And it'll be a clear and sure way of making certain that the router and its wifi signal are dead, dead, dead,

[a] if we figure ten watts, and we can shut it off for real one half the time, then that's 12 hours * 30 days * 10 watts = => 3,600 wat-hrs/month, or 3.6 kw-hr/month. Ok, it ain't a huge number, but you've got to start somewhere...
Reply to
danny burstein

formatting link
>>

Thanks a bunch, GlowingBlueMist!

Reply to
Kimmy Boyer

Every $$ not paid is a $$ earned!

Reply to
Kimmy Boyer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.