Compaq Laptop wifi help

I have a Compaq V6000, about 10 months ago I started using a USB wifi adapter. Now I want to go back to the internal wifi system. The internal system was working before I started with the USB wifi adapter. I have uninstalled the software that I installed for the external USB wifi adapter. When I click on the WLAN icon the HP wireless assistant pops up. It tells me the status is On. When I click on the setup button I work my way to a window that asks for my "router log on details" i.e. my password. I put in my password hit next and the next window says "unable to log on to your router". I have the option to reenter my password or reset the router. I'm sure I have entered my password correctly. So now if I reset the router will that erase my password or change it to a default? If default, how do I find the default password? Somehow Idon't really think it is a router password problem If I reinstall the USB wifi adapter the password works fine. At this point in the setup the WLAN mechanical switch is ON the software says ON, but the LED by the mechanical switch says off. So this is where I'm stuck. I appreciate any help, Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...
4 hrs. &$%*#&g around and I finally got it working. I can switch between my internal and external wifi cards. I hate making my computer work, I just want to use it not figure out how to use it. Mike All is well,,,,, for now. :-)
Reply to
amdx

What finally did the trick?

Reply to
John Jones

Well. I don't know exactly. It was a right click on one of the icons in the tray. Then I clicked on a line about WZC (windows zero configuration). And a window popped up that said I was connected. It didn't seem to have time to load or run a program, I'm relieved that it's working, but not sure why.

Reply to
amdx

Well, duh, you enabled the checkbox for WZC, this let windows configure the interface. Surprise, surprise, it did just that.

Another angle to consider when an interface isn't acting right, use the Device Manager to 'Uninstall' it. Then reboot. Windows will discover it again and set it up using defaults. This often 'cures' various strange problems with network adapters. The existing configuration has ended up corrupted and the uninstall/reboot/discover cycle generally solves it.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.