going wireless finally

I'm new to the wireless laptop business. My old Micron laptop uses a pcmcia (?) wireless card. Do I need anything else to go online at hot spots? How about a hi speed modem between the laptop and hot spot?

Reply to
rb
Loading thread data ...

No need for any modem of any kind if you are going wireless. but make sure when going to Hotspots that your Laptop is configured as a DCHP client.

Your laptop will get it's IP address, gateway and DNS from the Hotspot and will be promoted for authentication for paid services.

Panda,

formatting link

Reply to
Panda

How old? What OS? Do you have WiFi at home? If you already have WiFi working at home, it will probably just work when you get to a WiFi hotspot.

If you don't already have it working, but it's WinXP-SP2, and you can see the card in the Network Connections window, it will probably just work.

At a Starbucks, with no subscription, you will get a login page when you open a new browser window trying to get to any page.

Reply to
dold

Thanks for the info. Not sure how old the Micron Trek II is, but certainly not even close to new.

It runs Win 2000.

Reply to
rb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.