find the person

Cute. It does a lookup on the ISP using whois and deduces the location. It missed my home ISP by 15 miles, and my office ISP by an amazing 75 miles. I'm in Ben Lomond, but it thought I was in San Francisco (SBC DSL). Cute idea, but not very useful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

How can you find the exact location of the person who is accessing your

site through internet.....

Reply to
jiten dash

general area (sometimes)

formatting link
recall someone was putting together program for exact street address locator for us telco's a few yrs back it was costly , forget name. Imagine that.

Reply to
bumtracks

In article , jiten dash wrote: :How can you find the exact location of the person who is accessing your :site through internet.....

In the general case, you can't find out. The best you can do is look at the records of who owns the IP address that they used in their last hop towards you. If it's a big company such as Tiscali then the answer you get back might not even be on the same (sub-) continent as where the person really is, even if they didn't take any steps to hide their location.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Most IP addresses are allocated in regional blocks. And many many broadband providers attach DNS names to their clients' IPs which indicate their town/city/areacode. Doing a reverse DNS, tracert, pathping and whois on their IP will show you quite a lot. There's also a tool called VisualRoute which claims to be able to do this for you but its payware.

Doing whois on your IP tells me the address belongs to blazeonline.com in Amedabad, Gujurat. They're probably your ISP, or a backbone provider who are reselling to your ISP.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yeah, its quite innacurate for some types of user. Because my office had a fat pipe in their US site, I showed up as being in Manhattan. Close. I was in Paris - France....

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Are you convinced that if you ask the question in enough ways the answer will change?

Who is assigning these homework problems anyway?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.