Extend range to 500 meters between two houses?

I want to share Internet with a friend living 500 meters from me with a lot of houses in between. What do I do, or were do I find guides on how to do this.

Thanks for any suggestions Cah

Reply to
CAH
Loading thread data ...

On 11 Apr 2007 14:38:39 -0700, "CAH" wrote in :

Bury a cable. Or mount a repeater on a third house with clear line of sight to both your houses. Wi-Fi needs clear line of sight.

Reply to
John Navas

What kind of cable do you have in mind? Ethernet cables are limited to

100m.
Reply to
Gordon

100m per segment! Put in a switch/router and you get another 100m. That is with CAT5 cable. Use fiber and you can do it in one fell swoop.
Reply to
Richard Johnson

There are a variety of ethernet cable extenders that will run at the required 1500 ft. For example:

Looks like 16.6Mbits/sec is possible but pricy. I would go for the slower but cheaper adapters. There are also fiber optic to ethernet adapters which will easily go the distance.

I've also done very well with 10base2 also known as RG-58a/u or Cheapernet. It's only 10 mbits/sec and half duplex, but that should be good enough. The catch is that I've never tried it farther than about 900 ft, so 1500 ft might be a problem. A roll of RG-58a/u and a pair of ancient 10base2 BNC type hubs or cards, are suitable for a quick test. You can also use 75 ohm RG-6/u coax with BNC to F adapters.

The real problem will not be the technology, but the politics of getting permission from the neighbors to trench their yard.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's what I was thinking.

If he could put up a pair of 20 ft. poles at both ends, he might have sufficient clearance.

Reply to
DTC

Thanks to all the suggestions, but it has to be wireless.

Cah

Reply to
CAH

On 12 Apr 2007 10:48:15 -0700, "CAH" wrote in :

Then you're probably SOL, because cheap Wi-Fi needs clear line-of-sight, and non-line-of-sight alternatives are slow and/or expensive.

Reply to
John Navas

"CAH" hath wroth:

Ok, then be prepared to spend some money and pioneering. 2.4GHz and

5.6GHz will NOT work going through the trees and buildings. However, 900MHz might do it. 900MHz will NOT go through buildings, will not go through mountains of dirt or concrete, and will be subject to far more interference than 2.4GHz. It is also only legal in the US and countries that do NOT have their cellular phone band at 915 to 928MHz. The antennas will also be considerably larger in size and lower in gain. The only good news is that it will go through some trees and the coaxial cable loss is more reasonable.

I believe there are some access points and wireless routers that use this card, however I'm late for lunch so you do the searching.

Do some testing with a 900MHz cordless phone. If that works over the distance, then you have a chance to make it work with data. Also, if you want help with the path calculations, just ask. However, I will need to know some details (i.e. numbers) about the endpoints and path.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.