Expand a wireless network

Hello,

my setup is as follows: A Linksys router with four wired ports, one of which is hooked up to our 24-port switch. Our 15 computers are wired to this switch, it's working great. My problem: we have a printer with a built-in network port. Our office manager wants this printer in a location that does not have an ethernet cable available. I would like to set up a wireless network, so I purchased a wireless router which I hooked up to the Linksys router, turned off the DHCP server and my wireless laptop connects to it just fine. Now what do I need to hook up my network-ready printer? Another wireless router? An access point? A wireless printer server? I do not want to run a cable to this printer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Martin

Reply to
kingofholland
Loading thread data ...

IMHO, you should have gotten an AP, but you can usually make a router look like an AP (see a recent thread about it not working for details on how it should be set up).

An(other) access point in client mode. I've had good luck with Linksys WAP54G devices...

Remember to enable WPA encryption with a non-dictionary passphrase, and don't expect perfect results from a wireless connection.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.