D-link router DI624C, HP Pavillion Laptop, Windows XP, can connect to Firefox, not Internet Explorer

On the wireless (built-in) of the HP Pavillion laptop I can access Firefox and Newsgroups, but not IE.

It says on the latter:

Web page cannot be displayed.

What can cause this?

Reply to
Ritter197
Loading thread data ...

"Ritter197" hath wroth:

It's caused by Microsoft, George W. Bush, and invading aliens in space ships.

IE6 or IE7? IE6 -> File -> Uncheck "work offline"

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

AH, now I understand. Aliens!!!

BTW It's IE and "Work off line" is NOT checked. That's not it. Sorry to say.

Reply to
Ritter197

Turn off proxy settings.

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:53:07 GMT, "Ritter197" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

John, can you pls be specific? Where do I turn that off?

Reply to
Ritter197

John, if you mean at the LAN settings, it is NOT checked there, so it is turned off.

Reply to
Ritter197

Look for crop circles on the lawn. My computers go nuts every time that happens.

Let's try again....IE comes in version 5, 6, and 7. Which IE do you have? The bugs, glitches, configuration problems, and screwups are different for each version.

Answering for John: Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings Uncheck everything unless you really are using a proxy server.

If that doesn't work, and you happen to have IE7, try: Tools -> Diagnose Connection Problems

If that doesn't work, check the program settings for IE5, 6, or 7 in the 3rd party personal firewall you might have installed. If you had one installed and uninstalled it later, make sure it's really uninstalled by check the running programs for anything the belonged to the firewall program. If you're clueless as to the names, download the clean uninstall program from the manufacturers web pile.

If that doesn't work, we're back to the aliens.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks jeff. I never knew you were so superstitious, but then maybe you had really experiences with Aliens, who knows?

It is version IE 6.0 that I have.

Work of-line is NOT checked.

Reply to
Ritter197

Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:56:27 GMT, "Ritter197" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

"Ritter197" wrote in news:UtfRh.4600$_43.773@trnddc02:

I had the same thing happen to me several times. It was obviously an IE strangeness since Firefox, Email and Newsgroups worked fine. I looked for answers everywhere, including asking Microsoft support. No solution ? all the normal advice did not work and the Microsoft advisor (including the supervisor) were stumped. I ended up restoring the system to the state before this problem. I still have no idea what causes this to happen from time to time.

Reply to
Colin

But when did you KNOW that both IE6.x or 7.x worked AND E-mails and Newsgroups and Firefox?

Reply to
Ritter197

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 02:28:01 GMT, Colin wrote in :

strangeness since Firefox, Email

Microsoft support. No

(including the supervisor) were

still have no idea what

FWIW, I've never had it happen to me.

Reply to
John Navas

John, I appreciate also the various links and I have looked at them. But I have NO problems with WI-FI itself (which is what these links address mainly), but that IE6.X does not work, yet Firefox, E-mail and Newsgroups do.

Reply to
Ritter197

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:37:46 GMT, "Ritter197" wrote in :

Which means that it's almost certainly a system and/or IE problem, not a wireless networking problem. Have you tried repairing/reinstalling IE?

Reply to
John Navas

No, I shall try to repair IE now. Thanks, I did not think of that before.

Reply to
Ritter197

I want to give you all the answer to my baffling problem.

IE6.X only INSISTED to be the DEFAULT Browser and then all things worked.

Now IE 6.X and Firefox both work.

Hard to believe that MS is so persistent!

Reply to
Ritter197

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:56:32 GMT, "Ritter197" wrote in :

IE isn't my default browser, and again, I don't even see that problem. Perhaps something else got fixed in your configuration when you made IE the default. You could check that by making Firefox the default (as I have) and seeing if problems with IE reappear.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.