Ethereal/winpcap over USB

Hello all,

(Tried this on comp.security.misc and got nothing)

I was curious to discover that ethereal doesn't work over my new USB cable modem. I assumed this might be a WinPcap problem and tried to look into this but found that, despite USB modems being increasingly common for broadband (certainly in the UK) there is very little detail out there, except that the polito.it site says that WinPcap may or may not work. Sometimes. And, of course, depending. I tried the most recent as well as beta versions of winpcap to no avail.

I'm running XP with a Netgear MA101 wireless USB talking to a Netgear ME102 AP which is connected to a set-top box providing wireless access. Surely I'm not the only person noticing that winpcap doesn't work in this kind of environment?

Can anyone shed any light? Also, are there any other packet sniffers for windoze that don't rely on winpcap?

Cheers

Reply to
edhead
Loading thread data ...

If you wanted to do packet sniffing why on earth would you get USB devices? - Get a device that winpcap supports.

(USB Modems are common in the UK with people who get their equipment directly from the ISP. USB Modems are not common with people who know about/want to do packet sniffing.)

Ash.

Reply to
Ashley Pride

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.