does win2k work with wireless?

bt seem to think not even though i suspect otherwise - here is the problem:

i have a win2k pro machine it is up to date - it has mcafee and zone alarm installed

using a bt voyager 1055 wireless adapter and bt voyager 2091 wireless router i try to connect - the connection remains for a minute then drops

i have tried with and without the antivirus and firewall software running and still the same

now i tried to see if it was a problem with the configuration:

i installed winxp pro on a spare partition - lo and behold it works perfectly (that's how i am sending this!) - however i can't use xp pro because i dont have a licence and i don't see why i should pay more money when 2k pro is meant to run wireless fine

is there something extra to be done in 2k?

is there any software that will 'help' 2k pro run wireless as simply as win xp pro?

any help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

martin

Reply to
martin
Loading thread data ...

I never had a problem installing wireless NIC using Win 2K Pro, which was used before I switched to Win XP Pro.

If you got a problem with the card and Win 2k Pro, then I suggest you call the card's Tech Support.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

lo

i deleted the widcomm bluetooth software and conenctions and hey presto works fine!

what an ass!

sorry for troubling ya and thanks for looking Duane

ta

Reply to
martin

:(

10 mins then it timed out

the connection has gone again

i have noticed that when the wireless fails it is using the ip address:

when it works it is using:

any ideas?

Reply to
martin

:)

that should be 192.168.1.2

have decided to allocate the IP address manually

it seems to be working but aint countin no chickens before they be hatchin!!!

Reply to
martin

On 11 Jun 2006 11:40:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@accepted-designs.com wrote in :

When DHCP works, you get the 192.168.1.x address (from the router) When DHCP fails, you get the 169.254.5.x address (from Windows) You need to find out why DHCP is failing, and fix the problem. Assigning a static address manually is a band aid that can mask a problem (e.g., poor signal, interference, buggy firmware) that needs to be fixed.

Reply to
John Navas

aha

there is another wireless device nearby (i assume a house down the road somewhere) that keeps popping up - if this network had misconfigured DHCP (i.e. acting as a DHCP server) could it be affecting my wireless connection?

I am on channel 5 where as this other network uses 11

many thanks for the info

martin

Reply to
martin

What network are you talking about yours or this other network? And you cannot mis-configure the DHCP server on a router. If DHCP is enabled on the router, it will take care of itself. If it's disabled, then the router just becomes a wire/WAP switch.

XP has the ability to seek out other networks and try to connect to them. Win 2k Pro has this service too called Wireless Zero Configuration, which is disabled by default on Win 2K Pro.

The wireless card or the router could be going bad too, which is causing the O/S to timeout and assign the 169 IP to the NIC.

You can configure the NIC to use a static IP on the router (it's not a DHCP issued by the router) and see if the problem follows. You won't get the 169 IP with using a static IP as you told the NIC what IP to use, but the connection will be lost.

Win 2K doesn't have a roaming ability

Reply to
Duane Arnold

What kind of a wireless adapter are you using? And router?

Reply to
optikl

Using a bt voyager 1055 wireless adapter and bt voyager 2091 wireless router

martin

Reply to
martin

hi Duane

i mean the other network

i think i will remove and reinstall TCPIP and see what happens

is the wireless zero utility a download for win2k pro as i can see the service running in xp but not win2k?

many thanks for your time and help Duane

Martin

Reply to
martin

On 11 Jun 2006 15:35:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@accepted-designs.com wrote in :

Only if you both have the same SSID and the same encryption (or lack thereof). Make sure you have a *unique* SSID (e.g., "Martin Net"),

*not* the default that came in your router!

Those are non-overlapping channels, but interference could be coming from something else, as noted in the Interference section of the Wi-Fi Wiki below.

Reply to
John Navas

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 00:08:46 GMT, Duane Arnold XP has the ability to seek out other networks and try to connect to

Actually enabled by default.

Reply to
John Navas

On 12 Jun 2006 10:49:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@accepted-designs.com wrote in :

No, XP only. However, many wireless adapters come with their own connection managers that will work on Win2K.

Reply to
John Navas

It's got nothing to do with the problem.

The service is there on Win 2K pro just like on XP but it's not activated by default like it is on XP. Now, I never used it on Win 2K and I don't even know that it works. But the service is there.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

dOn Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:04:47 GMT, Duane Arnold

Windows 2000 does not include wireless auto configuration functionality.

Reply to
John Navas

I know what I saw when this laptop was Win 2K. It had the WZCS. Like I said, it was disabled by defualt, it may not have been able to be started, but it was on the machine.

I know what I saw.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.