MIMO Access Point

Hi All, I am looking for a MIMO Access Point. I don't want a router, but just an access point. On our network, we have 3-4 computers with specified IP addresses that I want to have wirelless access. I don;'t want any routing, just a wireless connection. I have tried the Linksys WRT54GX4 as this is the router I have at home and I like it, but after an hour on the phone with Linksys tech support, I was told that the only option was for me to have a DHCP server on my network assign an IP address to the router and the router would then work, but I really don't want to set up a DHCP server just for one device whose IP address I want to specify. We currently have a Netgear wg602 and this works fine, but I am interested in upgrading all of our wireless systems to MIMO. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks,. Brett Lewis

Reply to
brettenator
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

All wireless routers can be used as an access point.

1. Set the IP address for something on your LAN that does not duplicate the IP of the router.
  2. Disable the DHCP server.
  3. Plug a CAT5 cable between one of the LAN ports on your router and one of the LAN ports on your wireless router. You may need a crossover ethernet cable.
  4. Do not plug anything into the WAN port.

Now, you have a MIMO access point.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

or - if you want the event log on some such as the Netgear older 802.11b boxes such as the MR814 (not tried this on later or non netgear boxes) plug the WAN into the lan on the box. give the WAN port a static address on the LAN, static default, DNS etc

and it will now send event logs via email if you ask nicely.....

Reply to
stephen

"stephen" hath wroth:

Nice idea. Too bad it wastes a LAN port. Also, some wireless routers that email logs do not have provisions for authenticated SMTP (i.e. login and password to send email).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.