Dead PCMCIA slot?

When I insert my wireless card, NO lights come on. Not a power light, nothing. Does this indicate the slot is bad? I've tried a second card and get the same results.

-Pete

Reply to
Pete
Loading thread data ...

What OS are you running? Does it actually support PCMCIA? Windows NT doesn't for example.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I'm running XP Pro. Once upon a time it all worked. There aren't even power lights on the card(s) when I plug them in to try.

Reply to
Pete

Go to control panel system and make sure that the driver is installed.

Pete wrote:

Reply to
me

Pete hath wroth:

Let's pretend you walk into an automobile repair shop with roughly the same complaint. What the very first question the service tech will ask?

Answer: What model laptop? What maker and model wireless card?

Many laptops include hardware diagnostic software. Once you disclose the maker and model number, such tools can be found. You might want to try a non-wireless PCMCIA device, such as a PCMCIA to CF (compact flash) memory card adapter. They cost about $10 and are rather handy for testing PCMCIA slots.

Incidentally, the most common problem I've seen with allegedly dead PCMCIA slots are mashed pins on the connector inside the laptop. A visual inspection should show if that's a problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had done that but didn't realize the big X was for the card. I did a "reinstall driver" from the directory (I downloaded the software) with the drivers, etc., and it works -for the moment. Thanks.

-Pete

Reply to
Pete

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.