CDMA

Hi, In CDMA , a system used in 2G GSM, all radios can be active all the time. But, all cannot be active all the time while using TDMA. Is this the main reason for TDMA failure ?

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru
Loading thread data ...

What do you mean by "all (systems?)"?

What do you mean by "failure"?

Are you referring to native TDMA or TDMA enhanced with GSM?

Reply to
DTC

I mean to say all radios being active at the same time.

Being overcome by CDMA .

TDMA enhanced with GSM.

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

Its really a moot point as TDMA has been replaced for the most part by GSM.

Now do you mean...??

Are you referring to the fact that a GSM (an evolution of TDMA) based cell site can only support a finite number of cell phones where CDMA can support an infinite number (until noise floor problems bring the total number of users on par with TDMA)?

The fact that both technologies are serving the respective cellular providers quiet well, it would not appear that neither technology has any clear and compelling advantage over the other. Therefore I don't see GSM as a failure.

Considering an equal number of users will swear GSM sounds better than CDMA and equal number of users will swear CDMA sounds better than GSM, the argument will go on forever.

Keep in mind, the goal of cellular providers is to increase the cell site loading to accommodate the greatest number of users, regardless of the consequences of less audio quality.

Reply to
DTC

I accept that they serve the needs, but larger numbers of mobiles can be served by smaller number of cell- sites in CDMA-based standards and this will surely have a high economic advantage over TDMA-based standards.

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

Which would be negated by the TDMA/GSM carriers putting in more cells of a smaller size. Hardly a significant economic advantage when both sides have similar deployment costs.

Reply to
DTC

I understand your views/points. But, then.. why did CDMA come into existence ? Surely, there must be some advantage and difference.

CDMA capacity =3D> 3x the capacity of TDMA And so, a CDMA system will hold more callers and is more stable.

I think, CDMA has some upperhand because of its core idea and that could have made it possible for it to overcome TDMA. It can can share a frequency band with many types of conventional transmissions with minimal interference. The core idea of Spread Spectrum technique has advantages like establishment of secure communications, increased resistance to natural interference and jamming and to prevent detection.

Hand-offs might be simpler in TDMA because of non-continuous transmission. I am not sure about the dropped calls in either CDMA / TDMA. But, as CDMA is a new wireless development relative to TDMA, i think, the dropped calls should be less in CDMA.

What do you think ?

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

Its been around a long long time in military communications.

If the difference was that compelling, GSM would have been dropped a long tim eago. It wasn't, so there isn't.

Questionable in practice.

Less stable. With GSM/TDMA, the channel is locked to you. With CDMA you can be dumped unexpectedly from"cell breathing"

Moot point as both technologies may very well be replaced by W-CDMA eventually. But CDMA was a late comer and its not likely to see all GSM/TDMA replaced when there is no compelling advantage. Carriers are quite happy with GSM at the moment.

Just because its newer does not automatically mean it will have less dropped calls. See above reference to "cell breathing".

You are looking for someone to write your term paper for you.

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.