VZW CDMA Network Retirement

We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, which offers superior coverage and performance compared to previous generation networks. Starting January 1, 2020, Verizon will no longer allow any CDMA (3G and 4G Non-HD Voice) 'Like-for-Like' device changes.

Caution Currently, 3G / 4G non-HD Voice CDMA devices can't be activated for any new line of service.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Does anyone know if the "HD Voice" network will be share with competitors like AT&T or Sprint?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

In article , Monty Solomon quoted a Verizon web page:

It had previously been announced (and posted in this newsgroup) that Verizon's IS-2000 network would be turned down at the end of 2019. Later it was announced that they were postponing the shutdown until the end of 2020. Presumably they found out that a lot more of their commercial customers had IS-2000 devices that were not about to be upgraded.

I have an old EndRun Technologies CDMA timecode receiver that I'll be sad to shut off when Verizon finally does get around to turning down CDMA service. We don't have roof access so it's the only way to get submillisecond-accurate UTC in our machine rooms.

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

In article you write:

Verizon's LTE voice service is technically compatible with other US carriers, but that doesn't mean they'll let you roam on their networks.

All recent Verizon phones are supposed to be unlocked due to a condition on one of their frequency bands, so if you pop the Verizon SIM out of your phone and put in a SIM from another carrier, it'll work. I do this all the time.

This isn't the case with Verizon resellers like Comcast, who lock phones in the usual way and will only unlock them once you've paid off the contract.

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.