Can't ping between Wired and Wireless PC

I currently have my PC connected to a Thomson 580 router via an RJ45 cable.

I came up with the bright idea of fitting a Wireless interface onto a low spec Compaq that I have so that I could control my Main PC using remote desktop or VNC.

In principal it should work.. So, I bought a cheap Linksys WUSB11v4 and set it up.

Its a bit slow at getting connected, but when its there, the wireless side seems to be OK, in that I can connect to the internet.. But to my surprise, the 2 PCs are having problems talking to each other on the 'Intranet' side.

My setup is this

PC (10.0.0.1) | cable | ROUTER -------> Internet | wireless | PC (10.0.0.2)

Please note that the addresses have been allocated by DHCP and since the router has been configured by my work, I can't change it.

From 10.0.0.1 I can connect to the Internet, but can NOT ping 10.0.0.2 (No Reply) >From 10.0.0.2 I can also connect to the Internet and CAN ping the 10.0.0.1

Whats strange is that when I first set it up, I could ping between them, but only intermmittently.. Now that I have been 'fiddling', I can get from .2 to .1 100% of the time as if it were hard wired, but NEVER from .1 to .2

Does anyone know where I can start to debug/fix this... I have tried everything and have run out of patience.

I will take my Laptop home tonight (Which has inbuilt wireless) and will see what happens if I have 3 devices (2xwireless 1xcabled).. This will hopefull show whether the problem is with the Router or PC..But my gut feel is that the Compaq/WUSB11 is to blame!

Jon

PS. I have no FIrewall software installed/enabled on either PC, so its not a firewall issue!

Reply to
jon.p.weaver
Loading thread data ...

Does the 580 have a wired-wireless isolation feature? If so, you'll need to disable it.

On 16 Jun 2006 08:53:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@alcatel.co.uk wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

It may, but I have now tried my wireless laptop (Which appears as

10.0.0.4) and that can ping both ways, so I don't think thats relevant now.

So it certainly looks like its either the PC or the LinkSys adaptor.

More worrying is that since I as playing with 'ad-hoc' settings last night, now I don't get a DHCP allocation. My interface stays at

I have even done a system restore back a few days, but it hasn't fixed it.

I don't know what to do now...

Since my laptop gets allocated an address and can ping, the ONLY possibility is something on the PC :(

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.