Can't access internet wirelesly

Greetings,

And appologies if this question has been asked a 1000 times before.

Running Win2kPro SP4 I can share my broadband connection no problem when using CAT5 cable, a Compaq Netelligent 10/100TX PCI UTP Controller in my desktop PC, and a Longshine Ethernet 10M in my laptop. The connection is stable and DHCP works fine as does ICS.

As soon as I try to do the same using a Belkin Wireless PCI Network Card in my desktop PC & Belkin Wireless G Notebook Netork Card in my laptop, the whole thing goes t*ts up.

The laptop won't access the ICS DHCP server. Therefore no DNS or default gateways are allocated either. If I use a static ip address of

192.168.0.254, subnet 255.255.255.0 with default gateway as 192.168.0.1 and the same for DNS. The network side runs ok, but still no internet.

Pinging a hostname dosen't work so DNS is not working. Neither does entering a tcp/ip address into IE6.

What the hell is going on. Is there a restriction in wireless networking that means peer to peer ICS just won't work with out a router.

If this is so will an ordinary wireless router do the job with my Speed Touch ADSL USB modem, or would i have to replace it with a modem-router.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

JohnP.

Reply to
JohnP
Loading thread data ...

You can get a ADSL modem that uses a RJ45 connection and not USB may be the ISP can replace the USB one or you can buy one that uses the RJ45 connection just make sure it's a modem that's approved to run on the ISP's network.

Then you can buy a standalone ADSL wire/wireless Access Point NAT router that uses RJ45 and connect it to the modem and be done with it.

formatting link

Wireless and ICS is suspect to say the least about it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.