Can one router be conencted to another

I have a 7004VWBR SMC Barricade with a print server built in. I like the print server. The router itself is quite old and lacks some key features. SSID broadcast cannot be disabled, nor WPA, bad user interface. However the router itself is quite solid in performance--no need for reboots etc.

I have a Netgear MR 814 sitting around which is a a newer model, from what I have seen it has a better interface. I would like to find out if it is possible to use this as a main router and use the SMC simply as a print server. In which case do I connect the WAN port to one of the Netgear's ports? Or is this not possible?

I would prefer not to buy another print server, since I already have one.

Reply to
Vijay Kumar
Loading thread data ...

Actually I want to use the wireless of the MR814. So are the instructions still the same?

Reply to
Vijay Kumar

Yes, you can use one router in conjunction with another. You will have to make the SMC Barricade your access point (AP). Connect an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports of the SMC Barricade to one of the LAN ports of the MR814. Plug another ethernet cable from the DSL/Cable modem to the WAN port of the MR814. Enable the DHCP server of the MR814 and disable the DHCP server of the SMC Barricade. Give both routers an IP address within the same subnet. For example: Give the MR814 an IP address of 192.168.0.100 and give the Barricade a IP address of

192.168.0.200. Pers> I have a 7004VWBR SMC Barricade with a print server built in.
Reply to
Doug Jamal

For the above either: use an ordinary ethernet port on each router and a crossover cable, or use a straight through ethernet cable connected to an ordinary port on one router and an uplink port on the other router.

wk

Reply to
wk

Reply to
Doug Jamal

(of connecting 2 routers together)

no, link them together using LAN ports, disable DHCP on the Barricade, assign it a fixed IP in the range of your Netgear's DHCP server, or (if possible) tell it to get its IP from the netgear. I have 2 wireless routers coupled like this, works a treat and gives me semiseamless roaming from one end of my property to the other.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

you almost certainly don't need a X-over cable - I'm not aware that anyone still makes switches that don't autosense. Hubs yes, switches no.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.