Can I Connect My Printer Wirelessly??

Hi,

I have just gotten as a gift an HP All-In-One Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax unit that I would love to connect to my PC running Windows XP Home. However, the unit is too large to put on the desk near the PC and the best place to put the new printer is on a table in the corner of the room which would cause me to have to run a USB cable across the floor.

Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly without having to change my whole network over to wireless?

I see USB wireless products out there, but can't tell if it's what I need.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ryan
Loading thread data ...

Is there any reason that you didn't bother disclosing the model number of the HP multi-malfunction device? HP and others make wireless print servers, some of which are compatible with multi-malfunction printers. Some sorta function, but support only some features of the printer.

Well, neither can I unless you disclose the HP model number.

See:

formatting link
here as HP non-cleverly screwed up and mixed wireless print servers with Windoze print sharing (where the printer is plugged into the computah and other PC's can also use it).

Here's the data sheet on the HP 380x wireless print server. Check if your unspecified printer is compatible. Also, make absolutely sure that all the features of the multi-malfunction printer are supported and not just printing.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah, one client's HO AIO I was looking at the other day could add the $200 print server plugin, but scanning was done thru a WWWeb interface on the print server. [Sorry, don't recall the model.] It's going to vary a lot depending on the model number, as Jeff mentioned.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

In article , Ryan wrote: :I have just gotten as a gift an HP All-In-One Printer, Copier, :Scanner, Fax unit that I would love to connect to my PC running :Windows XP Home. However, the unit is too large to put on the desk :near the PC and the best place to put the new printer is on a table in :the corner of the room which would cause me to have to run a USB cable :across the floor.

:Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC :and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly :without having to change my whole network over to wireless?

If it is the model line that I looked at a few months ago, then the specifications were such that it should be possible in theory. You could probably only use the Printing function in this manner, with the Scanner and Fax going to waste.

As a rough approximation, see if there is a Linux driver available for the model. If all you can find is a PC driver then you might have a hard time getting even the printing to work.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.