Linksys Wireless Multifunction Printer Print Server Model WPSM54G & HP Officejet 7310?

Does anyone have any experience using the Linksys wireless multifunction printer print server with an HP Officejet 7310? This print server's literature promises it is designed for use with USB Multifunction Devices and allows use of all functions, e.g. print, copy, scan, fax wirelessly. The Officejet 7310 is specifically listed on its' compatibility list as being tested with the WPSM54G and passing on all functions.

Is it true? Does it work as promised?

Thanks

Reply to
dejola
Loading thread data ...

Having received no responses to my inquiry about the Linksys wireless multifunction printer PRINT SERVER model WPSM54G, I decided to give it a try anyway. Here is the result:

The first problem I encountered concerned an error in the users guide on page 6. There is a statement that says the the print server's default name will be found on a sticker on the bottom of the print server. It was not there. Called Linksys and learned that the documentation is being revised to remove that statement in the users guide.

It is necessary to first make sure that the software for the multifunction printer (in this case an HP Officejet 7310) is installed on the computer setting up the print server. Once this is done the setup wizard CD is installed and the user is taken through about 15 steps (which are all quite clear) to get the print server installed and configured. One problem I ran into was at about step #10, where I was prompted to select the method of wireless network security that is employed on the wireless network (WEP) and prompted to enter a Passphrase. Here's where I went wrong. I entered the WEP key. In the final step instead of connecting to the network I received an error message saying CONNECTION FAILED. I was quite disappointed as I knew I had carefully followed all steps along the way.

I started all over again a couple of times and each time received the same CONNECTION FAILED error message. I called Linksys tech support. The fellow was quite nice and we went through some troubleshooting procedures relating to cables, network SSID, etc. Finally we realized that I should not have entered the WEP key in the space calling for a PassPhrase (WEP Key and PassPhrase are not the same). Instead I left PassPhrase blank and clicked NEXT. Voila! Now I was prompted to enter the WEP key, which I did. Success! Now the print server fouind the wireless network and connected to it.

I now found that I was able to print wirelessly to the Officejet 7310 from my wire-less-equipped notebook computer anywhere in the office. I didn't have time to check using the other 7310 features wirelessly, but will next week.

The product seems to work as advertised. I'm happy about that.

Reply to
dejola

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.