HP Fax Printer Scanner Copier

Probably the HP 3030.

Hope that url survives usenet posting. If not, try:

And click the first link under "Search results".

I have its brother, the 3015, essentially the same except for a sheet fed scanner, not a flat scanner. Works fine to print, copy and scan, but I don't use it for faxes. I have winfax for that.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg
Loading thread data ...

One thing you can do that will eliminate many of the junk faxes is to set the fax recieve to not answer until the 8th ring. Most of the junk faxers will give up before that many rings. Most real faxes will try for 1 min (typically).

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

I got a call a few days ago about a complaint that a phone line was "noisy and slow". Well, I went over to the department, and I used my buttset to make some calls to other people to see how noisy the line was, and it seemed just fine to me and the other people. As far as being slow, well, this campus is out in the boonies, maybe 5 miles from the CO, so the lines, if they're hard copper, have loading coils on them which limit the bandwidth. People seem to have no problem with that, but this particular fax machine complained about it when the company installed the machine.

The fax machine is a HP combination fax, scanner, printer, and copier. I didn't get the model, but it's a new one that has a flat glass with lid on the top, just like a copier. The clerk said that the previous fax machine worked just fine with the same phone line. So I don't think there's a problem with the line other than it's physically longer than the average.

Apparently the HP hardware and/or software complained about the phone line quality when it was set up. Apparently other more normal fax machines just put up with the phone line limitations and go about their business.

So yesterday, I heard that this HP combo unit was the second one that had been installed, after the original one failed. However, it, too, had failed!! Now isn't that pathetic? Schadenfreude! :-*

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

formatting link
email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
formatting link
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:
formatting link

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

copier.

Thanks for the info. WSe're going to a fax server beginning next year, so I don't see why they even bought a new fax. However it's a smaller dept and when the fax server is implemented, the users will get imcoming faxes in their outlook email inbox. Bitch, 'cause of all the junk faxes. But in order to originate a fax, the user will have to have a scanner to get the document into the fax software. We're deploying Xerox Workcentres or Docucentres in the bigger depts, but the folks are already complaining they're a whole lot slower than their old copier, wasting their time.

Someday I hope to see a filtering software, probably an extension to the spam filtering, that will eliminate all the junk faxes. We will be saving over $2500 a month in fax line costs for the almost 200 fax lines we have. So hopefully this new fax server will pay for itself quickly.

Also, one more comment. I think the gummint should require fax makers to implement some kind of Turing test option that the receiving fax may send to the sending fax. Something like a few voice synthesized digits that the sender must punch into the dial pad, so that the receiving fax knows for certain that it's a real human who's sending the fax. Any fax number could be added to a number list to bypass this test, so only uninvited numbers would have to take it. Also, CallerID could be used to similarly filter certain numbers.

Well, I can dream, can't I? Who knows? Maybe the SOBs will lobby congress and get them to make another law to protect big businesses against such a system, just like they did with the FCC and the 47/227 rules they were going to implement.

Owner:Chinook-L

Owner:Sibernet-L

Reply to

smaller

Thanks for the info. I don't know if it's physically possible or practical to go to almost 200 fax machines and set them to answer like that. I know itwould take a single person several days just to do one campus. And this assumes that all of the machines have that capability. And another thought. If one machine gave up after 6 rings, and could not me changed, then it would be locked out of sending to any other of the oness set for 8 rings. Wew have a lot ot Toshiba faxes, and I hate them. They are really difficult to navigate the menues. I needed the manual to set up the one in our office. And there are other brands, brother, HP, etc., etc., etc.

And one more concern. Most of our fax machines are on centrex lines, and we remove the call forwarding on no answer because it saves a buck or two per month. But with the fax machines always answering on the first or second ring, we would never know if the line still has CF on it. If the fax machine was then set for 8 rings, the machine would then never receive a fax if the phone line still had the CF feature.

I guess it would be easy to implement answer on 8 rings with the server. But only for incoming calls from foreign faxes.

I remember a few years ago seeing a gizmo on the shelves of the stores about this time of year, before Xmas. IIRC, it was called the Zapper, and played some SIT tones into the phone line to try to fool the calling party's equipment into believing it was a disconnected line. I wonder why they are no longer around. They were about fifty bucks at first, but might have been cheaper later. Perhaps the FTC's Do Not Call List made them no longer needed. Or maybe the telescammers got wise and made changes to make the Zapper ineffective. I was thinking that this same 'feature' might be good on the server for incoming foreign faxes. Thanks again.

Reply to

formatting link
FTR I have no connection with them.

I just got one at a thrift store for a buck. Works as advertised, will send just the first SIT in 'normal' mode, and all 3 in 'advanced'. It's been in service for around a week, and it seems to be working already. I think maybe the phone scammers exchange info, cause I used to get 2,3,4 calls a day, haven't had any at all for a few days now. I like it!

Bill Turlock

Reply to
Bill Turlock

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.