Basic megabit/megabyte question

Iperf requires two ends. If you have two computers on your network, you can check that performance. If you have a Unix account at an ISP, you can load iperf there. Default NAT router and firewalls will let you test upload. You'd have to map a port through the firewall to test download.

formatting link
will test up and down to a couple of sites on the internet. The speeds seem pretty stable and respectable.

There ya go. Copying between two wireless computers will also show off another attribute of Wireless that is important.

That's not very exciting. I don't think I believe it. start-run-perfmon.msc + Performance Object = Network Numbers agree with dslreports. + Performance Object = TCP shows some counters that might be errors.

Reply to
dold
Loading thread data ...

I had Charter and found out that 3 Meg service was a couple of dollars cheaper due to pricing change. I asked why I wasn't upgraded and they stated that they can not change terms of service unless the customer asks for it. So call them you may be surprised.

Al

Reply to
Als

Or any other test of wireless speed. Gotta have two ends, regardless of the test. What I was pointing out is that it is unlikely that most folks would have access to a remote iperf client/server. If you have a two systems on your network, preferably with one wired and one wireless, you can see the speed.

You mentioned the stopwatch and big file trick. Most people have access to a "personal web site" on mchsi. That allows ftp upload and download for clocking the internet speed, and might be local to your ISP connection point, maybe not.

Closer is nicer. People should use their own ISP's speed test, if there is one. Some of the ISP-internal tests seem strangely limited. I wonder if they work better for people on that network, and are deliberately hampered going to the internet.

The "current bandwidth" in perfmon bounces around on my 802.11g connection, almost a signal strength indicator ;-) Maximum 54000000, Minimum 24000000.

One odd thing that I noticed. If I run through a VPN, my measured upload speeds are higher than without VPN. I thought my cable was capped to 256Kb upload, and that has seemed correct over time, with my upload being measured around 234Kb. With VPN, I see 700Kb to the test sites, and a

1953Kb iperf to a server that is colo with the VPN endpoint. I don't know at all what that means. I haven't paid much attention to ftp uploads through VPN. I usually do those "inside".

http://192.168.100.1/signal.html shows my cable modem has Downstream Frequency 561000000 Hz Locked Upstream Frequency 23984000 Hz Ranged Does that mean anything for speed?

Reply to
dold

Chap wrote in news:c2lc01hnl9tigoooj85rt2cata5cg82sjg@

4ax.com:

Your wired connection maybe 100mbps, but the actual bandwidth of the pipe is 1 - 3Mbit depending on the plan (or if you're lucky like me, 5Mbit/s on Rogers :)

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Weird but really interesting. My guess(tm) is that your cable ISP may have had some "issues" with commerical customers using VPN's and have implimented some form of QoS or bandwidth management by port number to make it work better. I do the same with VoIP ports. If that were true, they would have a rather substantial performance edge selling to corporate clients.

Nope. Those are the cable RF frequencies used by the modem. 561MHz is roughly cable channel 81. 23.984MHz is the return channel, which is usually between 5-42MHz.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXBasic.usenet.us.com

uploads

Its more likely that your cable company has a "cheap" bandwidth management device that works on straight IP but not with vpn encapsulations, so you're actually working around it.

Dennis Emerging Technologies Bandwidth Management and traffic shapers

Reply to
dennis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.